Top end parts

2 replies to this topic
  • jaybird67k

Posted November 25, 2001 - 02:20 PM

Well guy's,looks like its time for a top end.
I finally lost some compression so I figured its about time to change the top end, I have a 2001 model with 400 hours plus on it, I guess thats not to bad considering the hours........there aint a 2-stroke that will log that many on the same top end.
I tore it down today and looks pretty good, its just a little out of tolerence.
Where is the best and quickest place to get Top end parts........Piston, cylinder, ect.
Thanks, Jason

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motoman393

Posted November 25, 2001 - 04:18 PM

On previous bikes, I have had good luck ordering directly from White Brothers. Most the time they have the parts in stock and they get to my house in 5 days (via UPS ground)! I have had better luck with JE pistons rather than Wiseco (Eric Gorr/Rich Rohrich and others techies over on were talking about the differences between pistons awhile ago, fairly interesting read) Good luck on your new top isnt too hard on a 4 stroke just time consuming! I am sure I will need a top end soon! I have to adjust my valves in the next week, before I ride again!

Did you do a compression test? If so what did it read? Later,

• Hick

Posted November 25, 2001 - 04:24 PM

I have had great luck with both Montclair Yamaha & North County Yamaha (both in CA), both seem to do quite a bit of mail-order business and in my experience have better inventory than Powersports Pro ( and comparable prices, but of course this will depend on the part. I live in El Paso and typically get stuff on Wed or Thur if I order on Mon. I’ve had two fairly large orders from NCY (over five hun) and recvd discounts both times.

Although if you are fortunate enough to have a competent local dealer it will be more convenient to go that route, especially if you or they don’t get all the correct parts initially.

Montclair Yamaha: 800-743-3926
NCY: 800-225-1629

Hope this helps.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.