Poorly stuffed silencer, bad for the engine?

3 replies to this topic
  • ericus

Posted May 04, 2013 - 04:57 AM

I was just wondering if it somehow would hurt the engine if the silencer is not properly stuffed or if all the stuffing blows out of the exhaust. My silencer is wasted (made out of fibreglass). It won't seal properly to the rest of the exhaust, there's some leaking at the end cap.

Despite the bike being loud and maybe lose performance, will I somehow do damage to the engine if I ride it for just a few hours?
I will of course buy a new one, but until then. The bike's a 450F 2006.

Edited by ericus, May 04, 2013 - 04:59 AM.

• ericus

Posted May 04, 2013 - 07:50 AM

Badly drawn picture of the problem:
No threads left in the bolt holes, and as said, it does not fit good against part #2 in the drawing due to wear.

And, also another question. Is #3 on the drawing usually 40mm in outer diameter? Mine is 55mm.
Grayracer513? Anyone?

Edited by ericus, May 04, 2013 - 07:56 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FinchFan194

Posted May 04, 2013 - 08:43 AM

I don't think it will hurt anything...maybe your ears!

Edited by FinchFan394, May 04, 2013 - 08:43 AM.

• DunmireD001

Posted May 05, 2013 - 09:29 PM

I think it will be fine. I know a lot of vehicles are ran straight piped with no mufflers/baffles. You'll probly experience some backfire due to having more airflow.

My dad says its hard on the valves when running straight pipes, but I've never ran into any issues

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.