Trunk Racking on an XR650?

3 replies to this topic
  • doctorleevil

Posted December 07, 2003 - 01:36 PM

Is there anyone out there with a Hard shell trunk on the back of their XR? Is there any way to do this in a cost effective manner? I've also been warned by a local mechanic that the XR frame could be in danger with the weld points being pinched by the already heavy rear end (battery, exhaust, big ass.)

Anyone know a good place online to get the trunk/luggage rack. Looking for something that can be easily removed to handle both a commute and mudding.

Thanks in advance

• slip

Posted December 07, 2003 - 03:00 PM

I made a rack out of aluminum flat and angle stock. It cost around $20. It's very sturdy. I must admit, it came out pretty good, I have gotten some nice comments. But I wouldn't put a lot of weight on it, as I have heard of people breaking welds on the sub frame of the XRL. JC-Whitney sells a universal trunk for arund $50. A lot of guys have put them on their KLR650's. As a matter of fact, I might get one to place on my rack. :) XRL Rack

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • doctorleevil

Posted December 07, 2003 - 08:05 PM

Wow that's a fantastic job! Did you have to do any welding? Where did you find these aluminum strips? Can you get them at a hardware store? If you can provide your process on how you did this that would be great. Nice job man

• slip

Posted December 08, 2003 - 07:03 AM

Wow that's a fantastic job! Did you have to do any welding? Where did you find these aluminum strips? Can you get them at a hardware store? If you can provide your process on how you did this that would be great. Nice job man

Thanks :D Yeah, it's made with regular ole 3/4" aluminum stock I got from Home Depot. I believe it is 1/8" thick. It is sturdy, carried two brake rotors on it once. It's bolted together with 6/32 machine screws. It has five mounting points. I also used 00 steel wool to give it that brushed aluminum look. :D If you like, I can email you some more pics at different angles to get a better idea. It really is very easy to make. :)

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.