Please help!

4 replies to this topic
  • YamahaRacer

Posted November 25, 2001 - 12:20 PM

Hey all,

I'm new to this board but I was hoping you all could help me out. I recently bought a 2001 426, and I love it! My friend liked it so much that he went and bought a used 2000 426. This is where it gets bad, he goes to one of the online history check places, and his vin numbers come up as stolen! :) I asked him if he got any reciept or anything and he said no. I told him that was stupid, but he didn't know since this was his first dirt bike. So here's the question, how can he make this bike legal? He is scared $hitless that he is going to get busted for having a stolen bike. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

D

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted November 25, 2001 - 12:26 PM

How did he get the bike?........newspaper ad/cycle trader?
Even if he didnt get a reciept he should be able to track down this Ahole that stole it and turn it into the cops!!!!!
Maybe the orig owner will get his bike back and your friend may get his $ back from the Thief??
It sucks taking the chance but better than being accused of Grand Theft himself! :) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bryan Bosch

Posted November 25, 2001 - 12:35 PM

He should report it to the police immediately! Honesty will pay big dividends in this case, even if he financially gets screwed. IMHO, the longer he goes, the higher the risk the cops will doubt him. Regardless of the reciept, were is the title? Did he pay cash and walk without it? Think about the poor guy that is missing his bike? Man, steal my car, but don't touch my bike! I hope your friend does the right thing. He'll walk about having learned a valuable lesson from The School of Hard Knocks...

Bryan

• YZ426er

Posted November 25, 2001 - 01:02 PM

Never buy anything without a "pink slip" or title. Most times you can actually call your States DMV (Dept of Motor Vehicles) and they will let you know if the bike is clean or not by giving them the VIN right over the phone.
Chances are the guy that is missing that bike didn't have insurance and is out $6000.00! Best bet...call the cops.

• bbeakley

Posted November 25, 2001 - 01:59 PM

My wife's 4 wheeler got stolen from us this summer and I didn't have insurance on it. While she's really happy with her newer (more powerful) one, I'd sure love to have the old one back. (and $5500 more in my pockets...) Tell him to do the right thing and get in touch with the cops. Hopefully he wrote a check, that is as good as a receipt in most states.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.