Rear sprocket... 49 or 50 tooth??

9 replies to this topic
  • YZ426er

Posted November 25, 2001 - 11:54 AM

Stripped all of the teeth off of my rear sprocket yesterday (I should've replaced it earlier). Read in Motocross action that they always add one tooth (50 instead of the stock 49) to the rear to help 3rd gear. This was specifically talking about the 2002. I have the 2000. Any comments or suggestions? Also, is it best to replace front & rear sprockets & the chain all at one rather than piece by piece?

• tuck

Posted November 25, 2001 - 12:19 PM

I went to a 50t, and it made my 01 much easier to ride on stadium & MX tracks, it puts 3rd right where it is most usable. If your rear sprocket is worn out the stock chain is probably shot also. Everthing I have read says you should replace chain and sprockets at the same time.

P.S. must be nice to live in a place where you need to worry about that this time of year. Not to many more riding days here in IL.It will be snowing soon.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted November 25, 2001 - 12:21 PM

ALWAYS
replace everything at the same time.
if you don't the new stuff will only wear quicker.
You are going to have to replace the rear sprocket again only quicker next time if you don't replace the chain! and front sprockets are only about $10-13! I keep a couple of fronts in my tool box because they are so eaxy to change depending on what type of race! (HARE N HOUND) Tight or fast!?
DO IT ALL!

• YZ426er

Posted November 25, 2001 - 12:55 PM

Replacing everything... that's what I figured. Thanks!
Tuck- Yeah it's great to ride year round, however your entry level (30 year-old, 3 bed 2 bath) house goes for no less than $250k... so every place has its ups & downs

Thumpin'- greetings to a fellow "mo" ("mo-town, Utah"). Went to school in Utah. Where do you ride?

• yzernie

Posted November 25, 2001 - 08:18 PM

Originally posted by tuck:
P.S. must be nice to live in a place where you need to worry about that this time of year.

Tuck,
So.Cal. has its fair share of problems...higher gas prices, more expensive housing (YZ426er's town of Agoura is VERY expensive), crowds, smog, etc., etc.. The nice thing is within about 2 hours of my house I can ride at no less than 10 different tracks. I'll put up with all of that other B.S.!!!!!
Ernie

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzernie

Posted November 25, 2001 - 08:30 PM

DUH, forgot to answer your question. I have had YZ-F's since they first came out. I have always gone from a 49 to a 50 tooth rear sprocket. After getting the BK mod dialed on my 01, I may stay with the 49. It pulls the 49 just fine. I am still amazed at how much better the bike runs with the BK mod.

Ernie

• 426_Pilot

Posted November 26, 2001 - 05:59 AM

I just bougt a 51t this morning, I hope it's not too much. I do ride mostly SX style tracks and weigh about 215 in my skivvies. Any thoughts? Will this be too much of a change?

The dealer had a 50t in stock; I'll check your responses before a rip open the packaging. Thanks.

• yzernie

Posted November 26, 2001 - 07:26 AM

Pilot,

One tooth will make a nice difference...two teeth will make a bigger difference. How much of the gap do you want to change?? Is your chain long enough to absorb two more links?? You're the only one who can answer that. Good luck, have fun and be safe.

Ernie

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted November 26, 2001 - 02:49 PM

YZ426er,
I usually make it out to The Knolls.
It is so diversified........Mtns/sand/rocks/single track/desert/whoops(big'ens!)
If I am riding by myself I usually only make it to Delle. There is a great single track 30miles that has become quite the trail.(high speed stuff and mtns and washes too)
The other day I was out there about 10 miles from the parking lot and came up on 3 KIDS that had RENTED a Bobcat and drove it out there in the middle of nowhere to build JUMPS!
WACK!
They wanted me to give some of them a shot so I did but as I explained I AM A DESERT RACER, THIS JUMPIN SCHMIDT IS FOR THE WACKO'S!
That is one thing I love about UT is the riding climate.Year round' riding somewhere in the state.
The Knolls usually only gets snow 1 or 2 times a year and usually gone right away.Just have to watch out for the mud flats! Just as well leave the keys on the seat if you get stuck! :)

• tuck

Posted November 27, 2001 - 02:21 PM

Originally posted by 426 Pilot:
I just bougt a 51t this morning, I hope it's not too much. I do ride mostly SX style tracks and weigh about 215 in my skivvies. Any thoughts? Will this be too much of a change?

The dealer had a 50t in stock; I'll check your responses before a rip open the packaging. Thanks.

Just this morning I stepped on the scale and it read 216#.I also ride SX type tracks and I think you would be better off with the 50t. I don't think you will be disapointed ,hope this helps.
I'm still jealous of you SoCal guys! lol
:)

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.