99 400f clutch adjustment question

5 replies to this topic
  • mediumdaddy

Posted May 02, 2013 - 01:46 PM

i just put a new clutch and cable on. shouldn't there be a lot of adjustment on the engine side? i had to adjust it almost all the way out to make it work right. is there some way to adjust the arm or something?

• DGXR

Posted May 02, 2013 - 02:57 PM

There are two clutch levers - the lever on the handlebar and the lever on the engine case, which the Yamaha parts microfiche calls the "push lever comp."

I don't think there's any way to adjust the lever on the engine case, and you shouldn't have to because there's an adjustment at both ends of the clutch cable. I recommend screwing in the adjuster most of the way on the handlebar lever so it's pretty close to bottomed out, and lock it with the textured nut. Then adjust the cable at the engine case adjuster (the parts fiche calls it the "holder, clutch cable") so that there's maybe 1/2 inch of play at the end of the handlebar lever, and tighten the hex nuts on the "holder." There should always be a small amount of free play in the clutch cable when the lever is released. (The manual will indicate a specific amount of freeplay at the end of the clutch lever.) With this setup, you won't have to mess with the "holder" again and you can do all your future clutch cable adjustment from the handlebar lever because that adjuster is all the way in -- usually the cable needs tightening as the clutch wears, so when it does, just screw it out a turn, lock it, and check the free play again.

Edited by DGXR, May 02, 2013 - 02:57 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted May 02, 2013 - 03:46 PM

usually the cable needs tightening as the clutch wears, ...

That's backwards. As the clutch wears, the stack gets thinner, so the pressure plate moves closer to the release arm, so the free play gets smaller, not larger. Allow for it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mediumdaddy

Posted May 07, 2013 - 05:45 AM

ok so if i'm understanding this right, having to adjust the cable almost all the way out on the engine side is fairly normal? there's still probably half or more adjustment on the bar side left, does this sound right?

• grayracer513

Posted May 07, 2013 - 06:35 AM

That should be fine, since you'll have to run it back in as the clutch wears to maintain proper free play.

• mediumdaddy

Posted May 07, 2013 - 08:23 AM

ok good. thanks for the help guys!

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.