white marks in blue plastic

7 replies to this topic
  • wnut426

Posted November 24, 2001 - 03:23 PM

hi guys just a quick question ,does any body know how to get the white strees marks out odd the plastic on my bike if at all,im tidying my 2000 yz426 up to sell and wont to try and get it to look as sharp as possable
cheers wnut426

• CRFThumper

Posted November 24, 2001 - 03:39 PM

hello
you can use heat gun to heat up the marks
that should remove them. but be careful not
to get it too hot! works pretty good but will return if stressed again. let me know how it goes.

• YZThump

Posted November 24, 2001 - 04:20 PM

CALL YAMAHA...GRAPHICS AND PLASTICS SUCK!!!That is the truth. But I ride with white fenders and when you fall you can't see the white in the blue bend!!!

• mxchamps

Posted November 24, 2001 - 05:31 PM

Heat gun works awesome!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • eBayThumper

Posted November 25, 2001 - 12:45 PM

Along these same lines, what do you all do about the little scratches that come from encounters with trees and such...little ones and they are usually whiteish also...I think I remember someone saying that you can wet sand them out...anyone with experience here?

thanx,
J

• Odie

Posted November 26, 2001 - 05:46 AM

The heat gun (hairdryer) works great to remove the white marks. The scratches - buy new fenders. That is so much easier.

Later,
Odie

• DaveJ

Posted November 26, 2001 - 08:44 AM

Jason,

Deep marks and scratches can be smoothed using a collection of sandpapers.

For a shiny look, I take a torch and lightly go over the plastic. This burns away any fine marks, and melts the plastic to a smooth finish.

However, it takes some getting used to. Perhaps a good heat gun may work better so to avoid any soot from getting into the plastic.

And some silicon spray afterwards makes it ultra shiny.

Practice on some old stuff first if you can.

BTW - This works on most colored plastics, but for some reason not on white.

DaveJ

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: DaveJ ]

• Flyhigh

Posted November 26, 2001 - 06:47 PM

You might try the PCracing Plastic Renew stuff. Has anyone tried this?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.