650L vs. xr600 tank interchangeability?

6 replies to this topic
  • exaresix

Posted December 06, 2003 - 09:13 PM

Will the metal 650L tank bolt up directly to the XR50 bike without any modifications?

• Moredesert

Posted December 07, 2003 - 07:57 PM

I think the XR650L will fit an XR600. If I remember right the XR650L has a bigger hump to clear so the tank has a wider opening. You can't use a 600 tank on a 650. :)

• exaresix

Posted December 08, 2003 - 04:49 PM

Thanks. The reason I'm asking, is that I was considering making my XR600 into a supermotard street bike, and you can't really keep a decal on a plastic tank. I was wondering about the bolt-up situation, it looks like a different mounting system for the L?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoChris521

Posted December 10, 2003 - 05:41 AM

NO . The tanks are not interchangeable.The front mount on the "l" mounts to studs and rubber bushings on the frame backbone.On the "R" it bolts on at the lower front portion of the tank.We tried it in May(?)when my buddy and i ran his 650L in the six-hour event at GlenHelen.We ended up running a stock steel tank. :)

• Moredesert

Posted December 10, 2003 - 10:50 AM

Thanks Motochris I wasn't 100% sure myself.

• exaresix

Posted December 10, 2003 - 09:34 PM

Thanks for me too!

• MotoChris521

Posted December 15, 2003 - 01:58 PM

Actually the frames are almost identical ,but for the forward mount.You could probably fab some foward mount. :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.