2003 WR450F vs 2003 CR450F

20 replies to this topic
  • gearom

Posted December 06, 2003 - 08:03 PM

I was totally happy with my bike until today. Don't get me wrong I still love my bike, and have no intent of getting rid of it. My buddy got a new Honda CR450F and I took it around a small motorcross track that we regularly ride on. It was 44 degree here today, Alabama, and it took about 5 kicks to get the Honda started. My WR, after not riding or starting it for a week, started on the sixth kick. I think that is pretty darn good! The first thing I did on the Honda was blast down a long straight, about 300 yards to see how hard it pulled. I did this about 5 times. Well, it reved forever in the first three gears and wide open in second I could not keep the front end down. My WR doesn't pull as strong (but close) and I have done all of the mods except the YZ cam. I jetted my bike at the end of summer and it was still 90+, and the cold weather took a little power out of my bike. Once it warmed up it ran great, but if I lived up north I would put in a richer jet. The honda still has an edge on power. I have a hard time keeping the front end down on the WR in second wide open, but since I am used to its powerband I can control the bike a lot better. With the same rider on tight and twisties the Honda would win. I haven't done much trail or woods riding, where the WR usually excels, I think the Honda would do well also. The WR has a very strong broad power band with no real spikes in power, AND I LIKE THAT, and the Honda kicks you hard in the pants at half throttle, which could be dangerous if you are not ready for it. I did a few wheelies (about 200 feet) on the Honda, and I didn't flip it so it is controllable. I think the WR still have the edge in longer straights in fifth gear. I will find out someday. The stock suspension on the honda feels pretty darn good, but I didn't do any big jumps on it. It is a VERY plush ride, and seat is extremely soft. Since I am used to my bike it felt better in the corners, but the Honda is a bit lighter and responds very quick on the track. One of the things I like about the WR is the electric start, but I have it disabled since I had the woodruff key go out on me. The other is the kick stand. The bottom line is IF I buy another dirtbike I will go with the Honda. Since I did all of the mods on the WR I was prepared for what the Honda had to offer, power wise and suspension setup, but since Yamaha has not stood behind it product with the woodruff issue I will them on the bottom of the list next time around.

• blue_beast_wins

Posted December 06, 2003 - 08:53 PM

Your comparing an enduro bike to a motoXer, no comparison in my opinion, i am a trail rider and in tne bush the crf doesn't cut it, the minute a snotty hill comes along they boil there tits off, great bike on the track though, if you ride mainly track and you want a comparison you should be comparing it to the YZ.

• BEAN329

Posted December 06, 2003 - 08:58 PM

Ditto

• yamahasocal450

Posted December 06, 2003 - 09:25 PM

not to mention the cam isnt in there

• live_to_ride

Posted December 06, 2003 - 11:32 PM

Hey, cool write up! I love my wr, but if I were to buy a second dirt bike, it would be the crf450. They seem like neat bikes.

• gearom

Posted December 07, 2003 - 02:32 PM

So are you saying that CF450R is a whole different bike than the WR? From what I read, the YZ is the same bike as the WR, except the WR is tuned down a bit. So why compare the bike to itself?? It seems as if the YZ450, WR450, and CRF450 are in the same class and can compete against each other in any style of riding. I'm not completely sure about this, but the specs on the 03' YZ and WR suspension are the same, but for 04' the YZ got longer tubes up front....

Your comparing an enduro bike to a motoXer, no comparison in my opinion, i am a trail rider and in tne bush the crf doesn't cut it, the minute a snotty hill comes along they boil there tits off, great bike on the track though, if you ride mainly track and you want a comparison you should be comparing it to the YZ.

• live_to_ride

Posted December 07, 2003 - 02:40 PM

The yz and the crf are built specifically for motocross/supercross. The wr is built for desert/trails/woods type riding. You would be better off comparing the xr to the wr as it is in the same group.

• mtrablue

Posted December 07, 2003 - 03:50 PM

just because the specs on the yz and wr suspension look like they are the same, these are not the same bikes. find some one with a yz 450 and ride it. you might be suprised. did you add in the fact that the wr weighs about thirty five pounds more than a yz. forget what the p.r. guys say, our wr's are a bit heavy. look, i'm not trying to jump your stuff if it seems that way but it's not a fair test. just for fun get your buddy to let you ride the honda in the woods.

• Poway Rider

Posted December 07, 2003 - 04:14 PM

I've got a few friends with CRF450s - Don't be mistaken, they are awesome. They handle as well (and have as much low/top end) as any WR450 (with both bikes modified similarly). If the WR450 didn't have the woodruff key issue and people could actually find '04 WR450s at the dealers - then more riders would take a hard look at the WR. Plus, you can easily put a 3.3 gallon tank on a CRF 450 - a must for long rides (the only larger tank available now for the WR450 is the 3.1 gallon IMS - which doesn't sound like a good option with fit problems, etc.). If I had it to do over, I might buy a CRF450 over a WR450. Of course, one major plus for the WR450 is the e-start button - but most CRF450s start fairly easily (unless the valves need adjusting) :)

• sabin

Posted December 08, 2003 - 12:51 PM

I sold my 02 426 and now I'm also looking toward the CRF. I regret to say that CRF also have it's problems. Overheating (in tight woods) and intake valves. Also to make it comparable to the wr you have to buy wide ratio trany and lights kit, about $1000 extra.
I'm beginning to think that 2002 WR426F is the best bet! I gave about 20 000km(~12 500ml) on mine, before braking 5-th gear. When I opened the motor the only parts needing replacement ware 3 gears and the camshaft chain. Even the piston rings ware almost like new. I changed oil every time it gets a little black about 700-800km.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gearom

Posted December 08, 2003 - 03:14 PM

I plan on dumping the battery and the starter, that will dump a few pounds. The CRF did feel lighter, and faster off the bottom. How about this comparison. There is a 50ft double that I over jumped by 40 feet, and because I currently have my bike setup for MX I just landed and kept going. There was a guy on the track yesterday on a YZ426, and he also overjumped about 20 feet. He bailed out (let go of the bike) and ate the dirt. He did not get hurt, and neither did his bike. He made the jump three more times and then he underjumped and nose dived into the hill. It looked bad. Everyone rode over to him but he was ok. He broke the front fender off and twisted his clutch lever down. He rode his bike back to his truck, adjusted his clutch lever and rode about ten more lap, but no more 50ft jumps. He finally when home because too much dirt from the missing fender went into his face. Two things from this story. 1) Yamaha makes a damn good dirt bike, and 2) the WR can do (at my beginner level) everything a YZ or CRF can do; so it is a fair comparison. I'm sure Bubba Stewart would kill 99% of dirt riders on a WR.
And your not jumping my stuff. I quite enjoy decent feedback, and others opinions.

just because the specs on the yz and wr suspension look like they are the same, these are not the same bikes. find some one with a yz 450 and ride it. you might be suprised. did you add in the fact that the wr weighs about thirty five pounds more than a yz. forget what the p.r. guys say, our wr's are a bit heavy. look, i'm not trying to jump your stuff if it seems that way but it's not a fair test. just for fun get your buddy to let you ride the honda in the woods.

• gearom

Posted December 08, 2003 - 03:24 PM

There is NO WAY a freaking XR can compare to a WR. They are trails and woods bikes; and very nice ones at that. The WR can do anything the XR does, but a XR can NOT do everything a WR does. I really have to see a stock XR run down the hill, thru the woods, up the hill, around the motorcross track, to the scamble, out to the desert, to the enduro, and back to grandma's house before I believe that it can compare to the WR. Honestly, I seen a few guys on XR's go around the local MX track, and they clank quite loud even on small jumps, and they are a bit short on power.

The yz and the crf are built specifically for motocross/supercross. The wr is built for desert/trails/woods type riding. You would be better off comparing the xr to the wr as it is in the same group.

• blue_beast_wins

Posted December 09, 2003 - 02:29 AM

Think my thoughts have been covered, compare the bikes WR/YZ different tanks, cam, starter, need i go any further ?

• Crazythumpin

Posted December 09, 2003 - 04:32 AM

True, there is really no comparison between a motocross bike and an enduro, unless you do the mods to transform one to another. I have had a chance to ride the 03 CRF, YZF, and a WR. They are all completely different bikes. You want power? Buy YZ450, it will make the Honda feel like a small bore. The problem is that the YZ has way more power then you will ever need. This gives it tractability issues and also makes it a hard bike to stay in the groove through turns with out pushing or lifting the front wheel up. The CRF is way more tractable and user friendly, but it also has turning issues. The WR, uncork it and do some of the mods, the power is there although maybe not up to par with the motocross bikes. The XR...well it is a bullet proof tractor.....Keyword is TRACTOR. Its like comparing nickels and dimes. My 2cents........

• Treebanger

Posted December 09, 2003 - 09:09 AM

And I didn't think any of the blue boys could go crazy red on us ! Stop and think Yama wouldn't tie up a production line building two similar bikes, WR YZ Both blue but not equal, build for completely different markets.

• Crazythumpin

Posted December 09, 2003 - 05:53 PM

And I didn't think any of the blue boys could go crazy red on us ! Stop and think Yama wouldn't tie up a production line building two similar bikes, WR YZ Both blue but not equal, build for completely different markets.

Nah, Never!!! I bleed blue all the way. I just had a chance to test out a couple of CRF's. Neat bikes, but they are definitely not for me.

• LiquidSilver

Posted December 10, 2003 - 03:53 PM

I'm brand new to the hi-performance thumper world... only had my 04 WR-450 for a few weeks and I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to the suspension to make this thing feel less heavy.

I sorta feel like I've been sold a bill of goods on how incredibly light the 4-strokes have become, but the last XR-400 I rode (a buddy's) felt lighter than this WR. I felt like I was much faster on it on the trail, too.

The motor's kickin' on the WR... but I still feel like I'm riding a GS1150 or Transalp in the woods.

I've had XRs and a DR, but mostly woods-prepped 2-strokes, CR250, CR500, etc.

I'm 200 pounds plus gear, so I'm thinking I'll need springs front and back... but I don't want it to feel any taller either.

Bottom line is... if I'd had my head up to how much lighter the CRF was... I'd probably have bought it and converted it for woods.

Off to the garage.

:)

• LiquidSilver

Posted December 21, 2003 - 09:35 PM

Update, after some more good miles in the woods, I found that by hiking up the tension in the shock spring... it has really improved the heavy feeling I was having, without making the bike feel taller. Now I'm considering whether or not to change spring rate in the rear.

I don't feel like the fork springs are maxed out. I did a few nasty g-outs and the fork didn't seem to flatten out too bad. I definitely want to keep the plushness, tho.

If my '04 was to have any starter problems, I'd probably know about it by now, 'cause I've stalled it in tight spots about 2000 times. :)

:D

• tigerowner_ut

Posted December 22, 2003 - 12:52 PM

If my '04 was to have any starter problems, I'd probably know about it by now, 'cause I've stalled it in tight spots about 2000 times. :)

:D

A JD jet kit will help the low end stalling. (at least it helped mine) I also bought a Rekluse fuel screw to make pilot adjustments easier.

• Garry_on_a_426

Posted December 22, 2003 - 04:23 PM

Update, after some more good miles in the woods, I found that by hiking up the tension in the shock spring...

How do you do that <yea I feel stupid>

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.