Q: on Radiator cages 12'-13' Wr450

17 replies to this topic

Posted April 29, 2013 - 05:44 PM

Does anyone know which ones cover the lower radiator decent? The radiators look very exsposed on this model so I want to get them covered best I can.

• JDLowrance

Posted April 29, 2013 - 08:42 PM

Te biggest problems with radiators is side impacts. The best guards for the 12/13 IMHO are the GYT-R parts. They fit amazingly well (no trimming required), don't require rad removal to install and work with large aftermarket tanks without drama.

Oh, stong as shit.

• mxracer992

Posted April 30, 2013 - 04:16 AM

The Devols are pretty nice as well, on the outside edges of the radiators they are double layered. Shrouds fit without cutting.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00198.JPG
  • DSC00201.JPG

Posted April 30, 2013 - 06:56 AM

Te biggest problems with radiators is side impacts. The best guards for the 12/13 IMHO are the GYT-R parts. They fit amazingly well (no trimming required), don't require rad removal to install and work with large aftermarket tanks without drama.

Oh, stong as shit.

Do they cover the lower portion of the radiator?

The Devols are pretty nice as well, on the outside edges of the radiators they are double layered. Shrouds fit without cutting.

These cover well but I have had them buckle a little on one of my other bikes. Still an option though, just need to cover up the lower radiators there's so much of it sticking out on this model.

• GP1K

Posted May 01, 2013 - 09:00 AM

I have Unabiker guards on mine, they cover everything well, are quite sturdy, and mounted up fairly easily without having to modify anything.

• jerejim

Posted May 01, 2013 - 09:52 AM

I have the GYTR guards. Took 10mins to install. Really strong and nice looking.

Posted May 01, 2013 - 11:32 AM

Ok guys, thanks for the replies. Just ordered the GYRT, sounds like they will be good. I don't think any of them are bomb proof but if I happen to catch the side of my bike trying to climb something the lower part of the radiators just looked like a problem.

• Low Down

Posted May 01, 2013 - 04:15 PM

GYTR

How much, and where? I'm looking at just north of a C note.

Posted May 01, 2013 - 05:56 PM

GYTR

How much, and where? I'm looking at just north of a C note.

Motorsport outlet $102 delivered.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JDLowrance

Posted May 01, 2013 - 08:38 PM

Ok guys, thanks for the replies. Just ordered the GYRT, sounds like they will be good. I don't think any of them are bomb proof but if I happen to catch the side of my bike trying to climb something the lower part of the radiators just looked like a problem.

Good choice...I think you'll be impressed. I've put radiator guards of all types on every bike I've owned since the late 80s and I have to say these are the best I've come across...hands down.

• DuncR6

Posted May 02, 2013 - 05:23 AM

The best guards for the 12/13 IMHO are the GYT-R parts. They fit amazingly well (no trimming required)

This. I bought some devols about 2 weeks ago for my brand new '12. I put on one side and noticed two things. The bolts were a pain in the ass to get to and yes I have the correct tools. The other issue was the fairings don't even remotely fit well with those guards...there was about a 1/4" gap where the fairing should have bolted to the radiator. You can really tell they are cheap aftermarket guards. I'm sure they would have protected well, but the fitment is poor at best and that's just not for me. Needless to say I packed them back up and returned them the next day and bought the GYTR guards instead. The bolts were much easier to get to since they are designed better and the fitment is top notch OEM quality. Another bonus is they also won't block as much air flow as the devols will.

Lesson learned: yes the GYTR parts cost more, but you get an easier to install product and Yamaha has already determined the fitment for you. Without a doubt they are worth the extra $20 I paid over the devols.

Edited by DuncR6, May 02, 2013 - 05:26 AM.

• GP1K

Posted May 02, 2013 - 11:12 AM

FWIW, the GYTR units are braces, not guards. So they will protect from drops/falls/side hits, but will do nothing to stop rocks/sticks/etc from hitting the front of the radiators. For that, you need guards like Unabiker or Devol etc that do both.

• jerejim

Posted May 02, 2013 - 12:15 PM

Love my GYTR guards and skid plate and tuner and computer and grip donuts... GYTR stuff is overprices but always works.

• JDLowrance

Posted May 02, 2013 - 05:56 PM

FWIW, the GYTR units are braces, not guards. So they will protect from drops/falls/side hits, but will do nothing to stop rocks/sticks/etc from hitting the front of the radiators. For that, you need guards like Unabiker or Devol etc that do both.

Technically correct.....if you ride in heavy bush with sticks ripping at your bike and body these might not be the guards for you.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted August 05, 2013 - 12:19 PM

What do radiator braces/guards do to air flow through the radiators ?

I want to put at least braces on the rads on my '12, but I'm worried that they cut down the air flow and thus the engine will run hotter.

• vlxjim

Posted August 05, 2013 - 07:51 PM

I run the GYTR's and they fit great. And you still leave the stock louvers in place and that has some front production and keeps the air flow going.

Posted August 06, 2013 - 05:12 AM

What do radiator braces/guards do to air flow through the radiators ?

I want to put at least braces on the rads on my '12, but I'm worried that they cut down the air flow and thus the engine will run hotter.

I have used a few different types over the years on just about every bike I've ever owned and couldn't say I noticed any difference in the bike overheating due to the guards. I have used the Devol ones that wrap around the front that some say caused over heating and never had any issue's.

• Chev450F

Posted July 12, 2014 - 11:02 PM

Hi all just thought id add GYTR make a brace radiator support and also a radiator guard version that has front and side impact strength. Im also stuck on what one to get as i dont wanna cause overheating when street riding etc with the guard version.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.