Leaking coolant yz400f (weap hole)

4 replies to this topic
  • robfiore

Posted November 24, 2001 - 07:18 AM

I recently purchased a 1999 yz 400. The previous owner was very good about maint. and care. He told me that he recently had the water pump updated to a 426 one. He said that the 4oo's had a common problem with leaking.
So after the first ride I noticed I was leaking coolant out of the weap hole. It only drips when idleing but at speeds it pisses it out. I replaced the two oil seals and the impellar shaft taking great care while installing new seals. This dis not cure the problem. (all the old parts looked to be in good cond. except for a little wear on shaft)I have spoken with some local techs. but they could not offer much advise.
Is this a common problem with yz 400's?
I have always owned two strokes and have been away from riding dirt for about three years so I am kind of out of the loop.
Any help or suggestions would be greatlt appreciated.

• chopbroc

Posted November 24, 2001 - 08:03 AM

Both me and my brother have 99 YZ400f's and have no problems with leaking water. It will boil over though if riding on nasty goat trails around the Tucson area.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted November 24, 2001 - 04:42 PM

Don't worry 'bout it TOO much.
Last winter when I let my bike set near the front of the garage where it is a lot cooler, The first time I went riding in Jan it started leaking out of the weep hole.
I watched it for the day and barely used any coolant.
When I got back I called my dad and he told me what it was. It turned out to be a $.96 part w/my disc. and about 3bucks w/o
All it was was the waterpump seal.
12min to change it and I had no clue what i was doing!
Just pull the waterpump cover and then pop out the seal with a small flat screwdriver.
I tapped the new one back in using a socket that was exactly the same size and keep it square!
Better than a leaking radiator or something worse! :)

• MX_Tuner

Posted November 25, 2001 - 05:04 AM

I'd guess you may have distorted a seal lip when installing it. If you put in a new shaft, seals and the bearing, that should have 100% cured the problem. I'd go back in for another look.

• Hick

Posted November 25, 2001 - 04:33 PM

Ditto what Tuner said. Perhaps something is obstructing coolant flow leading to it being forced past the seal lip and out the weep hole. I imagine a faulty radiator cap could also cause this by allowing excessive pressure build up.

But that is pure conjecture on my part.

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.