Cutting bars

4 replies to this topic
  • etuke

Posted April 29, 2013 - 04:23 PM

anybody ever cut their bars shorter?I was thinking of cutting1/2-3/4" off the ends to shorten it up,there seems to be a lot extra on the protapers.Bars on the bike are an atv bend,I never measured them but they seem wide to me.

• Monk

Posted April 29, 2013 - 04:25 PM

We do it all the time for riding in the woods. I would recommend a pipe cutter over a hacksaw as it makes a cleaner cut. A hacksaw works fine though. As for the actual cutting, do a 1/4 inch at a time. You would be suprised on how much 1/2-3/4 of a inch is!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • etuke

Posted April 29, 2013 - 05:08 PM

probably cut the least amount I can with pipe cutter to start.

• DGXR

Posted April 30, 2013 - 01:02 PM

I always cut my bar ends, they seem far too wide to begin with no matter what brand or bend. I usually cut about 1" from each end (2" total shortening). May seem like a lot but it works great for me. I don't think many people really need to put that much leverage on the forks anyway, so I honestly don't understand why they are made so wide, except maybe to provide room to mount all the clamps and levers and kill buttons and bark busters and whatnot. Just had a thought... maybe bars don't come shorter because it's easier to just cut them down, for those who want them narrow. Those who like them wide can leave 'em wide.

• grayracer513

Posted April 30, 2013 - 06:55 PM

My experience has been that they are indeed somewhat more difficult to widen than to narrow, so I guess I can go along with that.

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.