12/13 WR450 Comp ECU Maps?

42 replies to this topic
  • stewart_frank

Posted September 03, 2014 - 03:37 PM

Have you ever been?
I go almost every Sunday if you'd like to meet up. I have to warn you though, that place eats bikes.

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces
2012 WR450F ECU, GYTR tuner, Yoshi RS4, MSR rad guards, Cycra Pros, and a growing wish list...

I been a few times and I did the last GNCC they had up there around 2005, Your right you can tear up some stuff up there if you don't stay up right! LOL! Shoot me a PM sometime when it cools off and your going up. Me and some guys from down here have been wanting to go up for a ride but just haven't made it. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tex rider

Posted March 26, 2015 - 03:31 AM

"I love the stock map and have only just started playing around with other maps.  I have a couple tips for you.

1) You'll get used to the power and develop skills to modulate it.  Once you do, that strong bottom end becomes your friend.

2) Regear.  I love 12/51 in tight technical stuff.  You could go even lower... 12/52 or even 12/54.   People talk about how well the old Honda thumpers lugged.  They were geared very low overall.

3) It takes a while to learn how to ride a WR.  Its like dancing with a strong, athletic woman.  A gentle touch doesn't do it.  You need to be a bit more forceful and aggressive.   Once you get on to that and get over the fear of using the power, its a great bike. 

4) A moderate amount of speed is your friend.  The 2012+ WR450F isn't really a tractor.   It pulls hard, it kind of lugs, but what it really wants to do is run.   If you go into technical sections with the engine ticking over at idle speeds expecting to lug over obstacles, you are going to have trouble.  If you go in at about 1/4 throttle and use the clutch and blip the throttle for obstacles, its very good in technical stuff.  Really good, actually.  Momentum is your friend.

I'm mentioning all this in the map thread because I fear that some of the issues people are trying to address with maps is really better addressed with gearing, more riding time, changes to riding style, etc.

I hope this helps.

Edit: 12/51 in 1st gear at idle (2000 RPM on my GYTR programmer) with 140 x 18 rear tire on hard ground = 6 MPH on my GPS.   That is the same speed as a KDX220 with stock gearing.  My bike stock had 14/50 and the idle was set to about 2300 RPM.  It was going over 8 MPH at idle and by the time you used a bit of throttle you were doing 15 MPH.  Even my vet expert friend found it a handful."

You couldn't have said it better my friend.

I've been riding mine steadily for a year now and it's a totally different bike than when I first got it.

I put in a mild map when I first got it (retarded timing) and haven't changed in a year. Now that I've tamed the so called beast, I recently switched to a more aggressive map because I am ready for more snappy power. Throttle control is key and that takes seat time on this bike.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0095.JPG

Edited by tex rider, March 26, 2015 - 03:39 AM.

• eztevam

Posted April 29, 2016 - 09:28 AM

@RSWR450F Can you please post the maps again?

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.