YZ cams

51 replies to this topic
  • KennyMc

Posted May 14, 2013 - 08:27 PM

Makes me glad I just retarded my WR cam... free an e start works...

So you have a retarded WR :lol: .............J/K So, the power gain is really noticeable?? Just like putting in a YZ cam?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 14, 2013 - 10:24 PM

So you have a retarded WR :lol: .............J/K So, the power gain is really noticeable?? Just like putting in a YZ cam?

It IS a YZ cam. Exhaust cam, that is. They are identical, accept for the 23 degree timing change (one tooth).

• KennyMc

Posted May 17, 2013 - 01:58 PM

New cam received from hotcams and installed...........starts like a champ! Success :thumbsup: Glad this ordeal is behind me. Now I can move on to getting our kitchen back together after all the water damage it sustained due to the leak under the sink. New wood floor, new kitchen cabinets, new granite, carpet, drywall, paint.....going out to dinner for the next 5 weeks....thanks insurance :smirk:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 20, 2013 - 06:01 PM

My camset is at Hotcams being evaluated

• KennyMc

Posted May 20, 2013 - 09:20 PM

Thanks!

Picture of my Hotcam.

http://Posted Image

You are saying you got this from Hotcams? All of the cams I have seen from them are black nitride not grey metal.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 21, 2013 - 05:35 PM

Well, the cams degreed out perfectly.

So, it's back to the drawing (carb) board.

It must be a reeeeeaaaly ovaled out emulsion tube, or a mis-stamped (read) main jet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KennyMc

Posted May 21, 2013 - 09:58 PM

Well, the cams degreed out perfectly.

So, it's back to the drawing (carb) board.

It must be a reeeeeaaaly ovaled out emulsion tube, or a mis-stamped (read) main jet.

DOH! :banghead:

• WRF-Rowdy

Posted June 04, 2015 - 06:13 AM

I keep reading of switching decomp pins.  Can we do that ourselves at home? What tools are needed to get a decomp pin out and back in again?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 04, 2015 - 07:29 AM

As mentioned by others, stop with the insane amount of mis-information, multiple posts, etc.

The pin has to be modified on the YZ cam, period.  You can't swap pins.

There is nothing else to discuss.

• grayracer513

Posted June 05, 2015 - 09:32 AM

You could swap pins, actually, but are you up to it?  It involves pressing the sprocket off the cam, then reassembling it, but the sprocket needs to be reindexed within a degree or so. 

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 05, 2015 - 01:31 PM

You could swap pins, actually, but are you up to it?  It involves pressing the sprocket off the cam, then reassembling it, but the sprocket needs to be reindexed within a degree or so. 

Well, yeah, and you could weld up and re-grind the WR cam to YZ specs too.......just not topical for the group at hand.

• WRF-Rowdy

Posted June 06, 2015 - 12:11 AM

Woha, that's workshop work. I thought one might be able to do that with some Wall Mart open end spanners.  :devil:

But then I realized that even if that would be feasible for the average DIY wrench there is no stock cam

where one could "steal" a decomp pin shaped correctly to make a YZ cam work in a WR with e-start. 

So I'll try and measure WR-cam decomp valve closing angle and grind down the YZ cam's pin to match in behaviour.

That way I can leave the WR cam as reference (and fall back should I ruin the YZ cam) :rolleyes:

and I've got an excuse for not putting the YZ cam on ebay.

Edited by WRF-Rowdy, June 06, 2015 - 12:12 AM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.