WR 400 head gasket - timing chain guide

2 replies to this topic
  • neccles10

Posted April 28, 2013 - 05:18 PM

ok so i was rebuilding my engine and got a little ahead of myself and put the cylinder head on before installing the timing chain guide. i quickly realised the mistake and know i f**ked up so no need to point that out.
my questions are :
1) is there a way to get the timing chain guide (not the one that gets bolted on) installed with the cylinder head in place
2) if i have to remove the cylinder head can i reuse the head gasket?
as i said i was rebuiling the engine so the gaskets including the head gasket are all brand new. i still havent completed the engine obviously but the cylinder head was torqued down to spec and i dont know if i can reuse it now

any help would be very much appreciated

thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • robert93727

Posted May 25, 2013 - 08:55 PM

Yes, you can reuse the gasket, assuming you are referring to the big rubber piece with lobes adjacent to the cams. It is a good idea to put a tiny bead of gasket sealer under the rounded part though. you do have to remove the timing chain tensioner to get the guide in, but once the chain is loose, it should go right in.

• grayracer513

Posted May 28, 2013 - 01:08 PM

The correct answers are:

1) No.

2) If you torqued it, no.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.