How to change Shock Clevis?

7 replies to this topic
  • DesertCR

Posted April 27, 2013 - 07:17 PM

Need to change a clevis from an 03 cr250 shock to an 05 cr250, whats the correct way? Anyone done it?

• DesertCR

Posted April 29, 2013 - 09:36 PM

No one has changed a clevis? Sure could use a little help.

• chopper61

Posted April 30, 2013 - 03:35 AM

I'm assuming this needs to be done in order to restore your rear ride height due to the later model shock on the earlier chassis. If so, you could also swap out the linkage for the later version to match the longer clevis. This may be a better option if your current linkage is in need of servicing.

• DesertCR

Posted April 30, 2013 - 09:47 PM

That is correct and i do have the newer linkage but i noticed the arms are the same length, the knuckle is different.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • H4L

Posted April 30, 2013 - 10:16 PM

It will be easier to change the knuckle than the clevis. I've got an 03 & 07 & noticed the swingarm was the same but the linkage appears to be different. I put 07 suspension on my 03 but didn't notice the difference on the shock clevis & linkage till after it was installed.

• chopper61

Posted May 01, 2013 - 03:49 AM

That is correct and i do have the newer linkage but i noticed the arms are the same length, the knuckle is different.

The knuckle and the arms will have a number/letter code cast into them, these need to match.

• XR250rdr

Posted May 01, 2013 - 10:27 PM

I agree about changing the linkage to match.

However, if you really need to remove the clevis:
  • Completely depressurize the shock, better yet disassemble it completely since its going to leak oil if you don't and it will need to be bled either way.
  • Once the shock is apart, clamp the clevis in a soft-jaw vice.
  • Back the rebound adjuster out all the way.
  • Loosen the lock nut
  • Remove shaft
  • Replace old clevis with new in vice.
  • Thread shaft fully into new clevis then tighten lock nut.
I can't recall if thread locker is used or not. Probably best to use Loctite 262, but don't let it get into the rebound adjuster.

• DesertCR

Posted May 02, 2013 - 08:26 PM

Yeah that's a lot of work, looks like Im going to use the new linkage, thanks.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Cr125 weird rolling noises and will not start! by Chowda5

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 11 replies
Forums
Photo

best looking trail bike. by pain99

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  260 replies
Forums
Photo

1983 cr250r resto thread by Brendantherider

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Vintage
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2006 honda crf 250r keeps dying by johnfowler25

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250R
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

1994 honda cr250 by goon_life427

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.