2001 yz 426 clutch basket play

3 replies to this topic
  • G-BRO

Posted April 26, 2013 - 08:42 PM

Hey guys. I'm taking apart my clutch on my 2001 yz426. Once I took off the basket I noticed there was some circumferential play between the basket and the drive gear. If I apply a twisting force with my hands I can get about a half inch of free play between the basket and gear. The service manual doesn't give any exact specs but Yamaha makes it sound like there is zero tolerance for this.

Anyways I hope this makes sense. Wanted a second opinion or two.

• grayracer513

Posted April 27, 2013 - 07:06 AM

That slack is not good. It will cause the clutch to be grabby, beat up the clutch plates, and shed junk into your oil. The 450 uses rubber cushions that can be replaced from sources in the aftermarket, but the 426 uses an older design using coil springs, and the cushion assembly is not rebuildable.

Time to replace the driven gear and basket.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • G-BRO

Posted April 28, 2013 - 04:33 PM

Thanks gray racer. The truth hurts sometimes

• Romper290

Posted April 10, 2014 - 06:33 PM

Hey gray racer i herd you were the expert on the 426... i have a 01 yz426f and its making a ticking noise is this normal for these bikes just changed oil and filter 4 hours ago and same noise thought it would of helped but sounds the same what could this be

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.