'03 WR450 dumping fuel out of overflow

3 replies to this topic
  • ack1961

Posted April 24, 2013 - 09:45 AM

Hello. After doing a cleaning on my fcr39, I buttoned everything back up and turned on the fuel petcock. After a few seconds, fuel started to pour from the overflow tube off the fuel bowl. I checked the nut at the bottom of the float bowl and it's tight.

Is that an indicator that I screwed up the float mechanism?
Thanks,
Steve

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 24, 2013 - 12:15 PM

Yes it is.
Float needle attaches to float, and sits in float needle cavity, hanging on float pin.
You probably knocked the float needle out of the cavity without knowing it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ack1961

Posted April 24, 2013 - 12:23 PM

Yes it is.
Float needle attaches to float, and sits in float needle cavity, hanging on float pin.

Thanks. I had completely disassembled the Float mechanism so I could clean inside the Valve Seat. I reassembled the needle, float & pin and checked to make sure the Float height was correct (to be honest, I didn't measure it, I just eyeballeded it and made sure it stopped properly). I wonder if I could have pinched the float down when putting the bowl back on.

Anyway, thanks for confirming that I need to take the carb off/apart again and check my work.

The reason I was cleaning the carb was becuase it wasn't idling correctly, and I thought the Pilot Jet could have been clogged (which it was).

I appreciate your response. Cheers.

Edited by ack1961, April 24, 2013 - 12:24 PM.

• ack1961

Posted April 27, 2013 - 09:56 AM

Yes it is.

Thanks Krannie - just to follow up - you were spot on.
When I checked the Float Needle, it was in the Seat, but the Needle Clip had slid to the end of the Tab, pivoted, and got hung up a bit causing it to seat at a weird angle.
I can actually replicate that by turning the carb over rapidly before the Float Bowl is assembled.
I carefully buttoned everything back up and it no longer dumps fuel.
Thanks for your response.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.