08 WR450 Battery Drains While Sitting

3 replies to this topic
  • stevethe

Posted April 23, 2013 - 08:28 AM

Anyone had the problem. It has a Baja designs dual sport kit. New battery, so when its disconnected it can sit with full charge for weeks. When the harness is connected something is drawing it down with everything in the off position.

What is the best way to test and check.

Thanks

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 23, 2013 - 12:28 PM

Anyone had the problem. It has a Baja designs dual sport kit. New battery, so when its disconnected it can sit with full charge for weeks. When the harness is connected something is drawing it down with everything in the off position.

What is the best way to test and check.

Thanks

Remove the negative lead from the battery
Put a 12v test light or Multimeter between the lead and the battery
I prefer a test light, cause you can see it from any angle, and it never waivers
You will see a draw from whatever is the culprit.
Start un-plugging things one at a time, until the light/meter drops.

It is most likely a wire that is grounding against the frame, due to a worn through insulation, or a relay that was wired in backwards.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted April 23, 2013 - 04:41 PM

Remove the negative lead from the battery
Put a 12v test light or Multimeter between the lead and the battery
I prefer a test light, cause you can see it from any angle, and it never waivers
You will see a draw from whatever is the culprit.
Start un-plugging things one at a time, until the light/meter drops.

It is most likely a wire that is grounding against the frame, due to a worn through insulation, or a relay that was wired in backwards.

Thank you for your reply.
So I am getting 13.07 volts across the battery disconnected. I am getting 12.94 volts from the neutral post to the neutral wire with the meter. That must be the drain. I'll have to start un plugging and looking at the wiring. Might be a worn wire or something amiss just started doing it in the last few months.

• stevethe

Posted May 01, 2013 - 07:36 PM

Well always the last thing to try. Baja Designs voltage regulator unplugged and the little (parasite) parasitic drain went away. Ordered a new one so hopefully that's it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.