Lowering Link

1 reply to this topic
  • bobpara

Posted April 23, 2013 - 06:53 AM

So whats the deal with installing a lowering link on the WR 450? Seems like there are a lot of mixed opinions. I ride 95% woods and single track and will gladly give up 1 or 2" of the over 12" of suspension I have for the ability to easily put a foot down.

I used to have a Suzuki DR350 and it had this cutout section in the saddle that made it easy to get a foot on the ground. Seems like when the going got tough, that bike got better and better compared with the CR's and WR's I ride with. Now that I have a WR I kind of miss that feature.

I have heard that a lowering link changes the geometry and the rear end becomes too soft for those over 200 - 220 LBS and the proper way is to have the shock re-sprung and/or revalved.......can I just cheat and set the sag to be a bit more than I need and then slide the forks up in the tubes the same ammt in the front?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted April 23, 2013 - 07:51 AM

At over 170 pounds a heavier spring is definitely needed, and at 200-220 pounds you'll need to compensate for the extra leverage. Factor in at least 10% heavier spring rate. If you are 200 pounds get a spring rate for a 220 pounder, if you are 220 pounds get a spring rate for a 245 pounder. Go on the heavier side if you are in between spring rates.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.