Sand riding preparations

No replies to this topic
  • Lars992

Posted April 22, 2013 - 06:08 PM

I have experienced the hard way about the issue with the breather hose. Luckily it seems like most of the sand is gone by a couple of oil changes, and no more sand will enter again with the re-routing mod. At least not by that passage..

What I have accomplished by sand riding so far:
Sand in engine
Seized two chains
Eaten up sprockets
Rear bearing worn out
Destroyed mud flap
Chewed up one side of the smaller alu frame (next to chain)

And that's after 2 days at Pismo beach.

My new modifications to make the bike last longer:
Scotts steel filter
Re-routing of the breather hose
Womens stockings on the small intakes on the sidepanels
Grease on the air filter contact surface
Filled the small holes in the airbox
Extra link in chain to get the wheel as far back as possible
PCV pipe on the left side of alu-steel frame for stop the chain from chewing it up
Use GREASE instead of teflon on the chain. I have no clue why people recommend teflon lube, at least I did never manage to use it without seizing the chain. I did avoid the grinding paste problem, but rather that than bent shaft in the gearbox. The sprockets got chewed up anyways..

Any comments on more mods to add? I dunno if its possible to save the rear bearings though, they get a pretty good beating with the 10 paddle. My jetting is also a bit rich, but I want to stay safe considering the hot sand dunes. Current setup: Pilot 54, Starter 70, Needle: Dynojet, middle click, Main: 170, Fuel screw 3 + 1/4 out. Pipe: spark arrestor of some sort, stock header. The ride is a YZ450 2005. Stock airbox as well

Comments on the jetting is appreciated. I feel I still have to try some other setups too before posting it on the database. I found it a bit strange when it has this huge demand for rich mix at idle. With this setup it only starts with choke, but on the first or second kick. The carb (not completely sure about the specific model) has the fuel screw available under the floater chamber stock, so no need for the R&D lid. Thinking about it now, the fuel screw setup would make sense if its leaning out when turning out, but I'm pretty sure that its the opposite way.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.