Help with GYTR Power Tuner for 2012 WR-450

17 replies to this topic
  • Jon at Camano

Posted April 20, 2013 - 04:03 PM

Hello. Just bought a left over 2012 WR 450.. It is quite an improvement over the 03 I had a while ago. I am not sure how much time I have on the bike, maybe 5 hours, give or take an hour or so.

I just got the competition ECU and the GYTR Power Tuner. When I connect to remap the ECU, I get a message "failure to connect to the ECU". The error screen information said it will happen when the engine running time cannot be reset while the engine is running. Does that mean that there needs to be a certain amount of engine run-in time before the ECU can be adjusted? Any other suggestions?

Jon

• waltersobchak

Posted April 21, 2013 - 01:45 AM

Do you have the bike power button off, and the power tuner off when you connect them? Don't turn them on until you have both connected.

• Dougie64

Posted April 21, 2013 - 03:15 AM

You don't have the engine running do you? Engine musn't be running, with power button on.

• yukondood

Posted April 21, 2013 - 06:16 AM

There are a few plugs in the tuner fits, do you have the tuner connected to the adapter that is located behind the side number plate air box door. I had the same problem you are speaking of because I was plugging into the adapter in the area of the handlebar display.

• Jon at Camano

Posted April 21, 2013 - 04:23 PM

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I have done everything mentioned. I noticed that the manual said to use nickel-metal hydride batteries for the tuner. I had alkaline batteries in the tuner. The manual said operation using alkaline batteries will be shorter and is not guaranteed. Will try the nickel metal hydride batteries and report back. Thanks.

Jon

• Jimh

Posted April 22, 2013 - 12:58 AM

Hi Jon, I know the Aus model comes with a programmable ecu but I still had to fit an 'adapter' that was in the kit that came with the bike. Prior to fitting I was getting the same message you are. It's a cable around 6 inches with a white plug one end and small black box the other and it goes under the seat. Might be different in the US but thought I would mention it.

Good luck.
Jim

• waltersobchak

Posted April 22, 2013 - 07:53 AM

Jon,

Did you get your issue figured out?

• JDLowrance

Posted April 22, 2013 - 04:25 PM

Plug the truner in power the tuner and bike on (no need to start it) load your map.

• GP1K

Posted April 23, 2013 - 07:13 AM

Easy way to verify your map was uploaded correctly is to download the current settings from the ECU. It should match what you just put in.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jon at Camano

Posted April 23, 2013 - 07:29 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. JD called it right. I read the manual a number of times. The manual made no mention of turning on the ignition (without the bike running) after the tuner is connected and turned on. After I did that, the map loaded up. Thanks, JD. Tomorrow, I am taking a few hours off from work and going riding. Overall, I am very happy with the bike, very good fit and finish.

Jon

• YZ250SubGuy

Posted April 24, 2013 - 02:01 PM

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I have done everything mentioned. I noticed that the manual said to use nickel-metal hydride batteries for the tuner. I had alkaline batteries in the tuner. The manual said operation using alkaline batteries will be shorter and is not guaranteed. Will try the nickel metal hydride batteries and report back. Thanks.

Jon

Battery type doesn't matter. The nickel ones are just more expensive, but are usually rechargeable. I use alkaline, but I don't install them until I'm ready to use the programmer.

• mebgardner

Posted January 12, 2014 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for the help everyone. JD called it right. I read the manual a number of times. The manual made no mention of turning on the ignition (without the bike running) after the tuner is connected and turned on. After I did that, the map loaded up. Thanks, JD. Tomorrow, I am taking a few hours off from work and going riding. Overall, I am very happy with the bike, very good fit and finish.

Jon

Just confirming that this is still true using Comp ECU and GYTR Power Tuner on a '13 WR450.  They both still behave this way.  Cycle ignition switch must be "off, then connect the Tuner, then turn cycle ignition to "on", and Tuner will boot to the iniitial screen.

I got an "all 0's" FI / Ignition map from my new Comp ECU, and a Throttle Position Sensor reading of 0 deg. (not the value given in the User Service Manual).

I decided to "bump up" the FI lower left portion of the map to attempt to clear the "glowing red header" issue, until I get enough hours on the ECU to guarantee that the "5 hour timer" ignition retard period is now over, and then get to the dealer's shop to set the Idle / CO mixture correctly.

Though, with the displayed Ignition Map of "all zero's" having been retreived from the brand new Comp ECU, I would have expected to see a "-4" value in the displayed map if the 5 hour timer feature were in effect.  I do not see that, so it's *possible* that the 5 hour timer clock does not exist in the Comp ECU. No one seems to know...

All Good.

• DRZ04

Posted January 28, 2014 - 06:34 PM

Jon

Jon I am having the exact same problem & figured there was something I was doing wrong. I am hoping I did not screw up the Power Tuner trying to get it to read something. You are right nowhere did it say to turn on the ignition. Glad I found this answer.

• Navaho6

Posted January 29, 2014 - 06:11 AM

Just confirming that this is still true using Comp ECU and GYTR Power Tuner on a '13 WR450.  They both still behave this way.  Cycle ignition switch must be "off, then connect the Tuner, then turn cycle ignition to "on", and Tuner will boot to the iniitial screen.

If you are just sending a new map, have everything off.  Plug in the PT (power tuner) to the bikes ECU, turn the PT on then turn the bike ignition on.  Do not start the bike.  Load your maps.  Reverse the procedure to disconnect. 

If you want to monitor the bikes condition, then hook the PT up, leave the PT power off, start the bike and the PT will come on automatically.  These are the procedures in the PT users manual.  Maybe you can do it differently but I haven't tried.  Do not connect or disconnect the PT to the bike with the bike running already or with the ignition on already.  

• DRZ04

Posted January 29, 2014 - 09:04 PM

I was able to communicate, or at least I did not get the "Failure to access ECU", but I cannot seem to view the settings that are currently in the ECU. I run through the instructions from the PT manual on page 20 "Downloading setting data from the ECU". I have chosen all 9 maps one at a time and did the load sequence. Then when I call them up it shows all '0'. I don't want to try to load any maps without first down loading what is currently in it. What am I missing?????

• mebgardner

Posted January 30, 2014 - 06:41 AM

So, I'm thinking that "all zero's" is whats currently loaded?

If it's a new ECU, and you have never changed it's map, then the ECU would have "all zero's"..

• aussieklx

Posted January 30, 2014 - 12:23 PM

the stock ECU comp kit is all 0's.

do not over think this process, it is not hard!! sit down and enter your desired fuel and ign maps into the tuner, then off ot the bike, plug in with nothing on, turn bike ignition on (dont start bike), tuner will power up, send map (pre-entered), confirm sent, turn off bike ingnition, disconnect, ride.

Edited by aussieklx, January 30, 2014 - 12:26 PM.

• DRZ04

Posted January 30, 2014 - 08:08 PM

•  

So, I'm thinking that "all zero's" is whats currently loaded?

If it's a new ECU, and you have never changed it's map, then the ECU would have "all zero's"..

the stock ECU comp kit is all 0's.

do not over think this process, it is not hard!! sit down and enter your desired fuel and ign maps into the tuner, then off ot the bike, plug in with nothing on, turn bike ignition on (dont start bike), tuner will power up, send map (pre-entered), confirm sent, turn off bike ingnition, disconnect, ride.

Ok you guys are probably correct. The bike was used when I bought it & it has the comp ECU and FMF silencer. Not sure whether or not the new unit comes with a map in it. I just assumed it had some numbers in it. I was just concerned that I would screw it up and then it would not run. I will try loading some like you said. Thanks for the help.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.