Stainless oil filter comparo question.

5 replies to this topic
  • 2012 yz 450

Posted April 20, 2013 - 09:54 AM

Just broke my bike in and switching to synthetic. Purchased and started using a Scott stainless filter. Would like to have two so I could swap them during oil changes. Noticed theTusk filter is a lot cheaper. Does anyone have any practicle experiance with both filters? yz

• Lars992

Posted April 24, 2013 - 10:14 AM

Seems like this one has much the same qualities

http://www.solomotop...r-YZ450F-03-09/

• Greg Pennsiltucky Lykens

Posted April 24, 2013 - 04:48 PM

Just broke my bike in and switching to synthetic. Purchased and started using a Scott stainless filter. Would like to have two so I could swap them during oil changes. Noticed theTusk filter is a lot cheaper. Does anyone have any practicle experiance with both filters? yz

Iv'e used them since 2006 , the year I switched to 4 strokes. I have never ever found anything in the filter. I now go 30 hours, or about 15-20 oil changes between filter cleanings. I have had a new bike since 2006, and I still have one 2010 YZ 450 with about 130 hours on it and I have never seen any particles in the filter.

I haven't blown up a bike or anything either.

I know Grayracer will disagree, but that is what I have found. And my 2012 450 YZ, my Gas Gas 450 FSE for DS, a 2012YZ 250 F for my kid, my wifes CBR 600 and KLR 250 and my VFR 800 all have them. Every bike Also have a crf 150 R that has one also. but that never gets ridden. boy outgrew it late last year.

Yes, I am a believer in them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 24, 2013 - 05:58 PM

Scotts and only Scotts. The only reason to need two would be if you had two bikes.

• 2012 yz 450

Posted April 25, 2013 - 06:51 AM

Forgot to ask whats the cheapist solvant to clean the filter with? Can I use mineral spirits or gas without harming the rubber gasket? Can soap and water be used like the manufactur says? yz

• grayracer513

Posted April 25, 2013 - 07:56 AM

Mineral spirits are preferred. I know from using it on Scotts filters for 12 years that it's safe, and should be safe for anything that contacts motor oil in normal operation.

Soap and water can be used, yes. Air dry it thoroughly, or rinse it with alcohol afterward.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.