fuel in engine

7 replies to this topic
  • jsayre13

Posted April 19, 2013 - 03:14 PM

So my 2002 yz426f was having problems starting recently. Before this I have always gotten it started in 2-3 kicks. it was hard starting for a couple weeks then (at the track) just quit and will not start.

Things ive checked: carb is getting fuel, New spark plug. When I took of the inspection covers to check for valve clearance (which were good) I got about a gallon of gas out of the engine case.

Ive got the carbs out to clean them now. any other ideas on what could be happening? I'm at a loss!

• grayracer513

Posted April 19, 2013 - 03:29 PM

Oopsy, your float stuck (or something). The gas likely got into the crankcase by having the float needle allow a slow flood while the bike sat with the gas on. Float level was high enough to drool gas into the intake without rising far enough to run out the overflow tube.

• jsayre13

Posted April 19, 2013 - 04:00 PM

I'm thinking I may need to re build the petcock in addition to the carb cleaning...

• EdgeR6

Posted April 19, 2013 - 04:22 PM

i love some of the subject lines. usually u want gas in the motor..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jsayre13

Posted April 19, 2013 - 04:37 PM

Ha, so true. ;)

• jsayre13

Posted April 22, 2013 - 06:58 PM

Put carb back together. Drained oil that had the gas mixed in it and found this. Still can kick through without using decomp lever. Rings? Not sure where to go from here.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1366685810197.jpg

• zeuszuki

Posted April 22, 2013 - 10:21 PM

Put carb back together. Drained oil that had the gas mixed in it and found this. Still can kick through without using decomp lever. Rings? Not sure where to go from here.

Do you have a photo from other side?

On the "flooding" issue. On carbs that have a removable float seat ALWAYS replace the O'ring seal. They flatten out and stop sealing 100% , this allows fuel to bypass the needle and seat. Your needle and seat could be working perfectly but it will allow fuel into the bowl and then into your engine - result ,fuel in your oil. I have drained as much as 16litres ( about 4 gallons) of fuel out of individual engines over the years because of this fault !!!

Edited by zeuszuki, April 25, 2013 - 03:12 PM.

• jsayre13

Posted April 25, 2013 - 01:40 PM

Found where piece came from. Putting new piston rings in too while engine is pulled.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1366925952184.jpg

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.