Adding Power Delay to Stock Computer

10 replies to this topic
  • woods-rider

Posted April 18, 2013 - 09:54 AM

I want to add a power delay to my stock computer so that if I forget to turn it off (like I have multiple times in the past) I don't kill my brand new Shorai battery. I just want it to be a timer that when the motor turns off it will cut power to the computer after X min regardless of the position of the computer power button.

Something like this could probably work, but it seems really expensive for what it is and I am not sure if it would be rugged enough to last.

http://www.revolutio...adio_Delay.html

Posted Image

Has anyone done this already or know of a product that would do the job?

• tomerb

Posted April 18, 2013 - 12:00 PM

Try removing the kill switch on the handle bar and use the power on switch to turn the motor off.

• woods-rider

Posted April 18, 2013 - 12:02 PM

Try removing the kill switch on the handle bar and use the power on switch to turn the motor off.

That would make it hard to forget, but I like having the kill switch in a convenient location in the event I need to kill the bike quickly.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 18, 2013 - 01:13 PM

Just your computer, or your ignition circuit, which includes the Computer (the 'button' circuit).

The computer can't draw enough to kill your battery.

The ignition circuit is a 8 amp circuit, so you will need a relay too.....

And, so, what triggers it off, a clock? Is it a momentary off, or does it need to be re-set?

So, if the circuit shuts off, how do you turn it back on? Is it instantaneously re-set?

• woods-rider

Posted April 18, 2013 - 01:38 PM

Just your computer, or your ignition circuit, which includes the Computer (the 'button' circuit).

The computer can't draw enough to kill your battery.

The ignition circuit is a 8 amp circuit, so you will need a relay too.....

And, so, what triggers it off, a clock? Is it a momentary off, or does it need to be re-set?

So, if the circuit shuts off, how do you turn it back on? Is it instantaneously re-set?

The computer can't kill the battery if left on over night? I would assume that the back-light on the computer would be the main thing killing my battery when left on for 12+ hours or days even.

These are good questions, but I would assume that a product similar to the one I linked to would address some of them like the timing, reset, and turning back on ones.

The ignition circuit with a relay would probably be a better target now that you mention it. This way the clock and odometer would not be reset as I assume it would be the same as just turning the ignition and computer off via pressing the button?

Edited by woods-rider, April 18, 2013 - 01:40 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted April 18, 2013 - 03:18 PM

Are you saying that your computer does not go dark when the bike is switched off?

The computer is still active with the ignition switch is turned off, still drawing from the battery even if the switch is off, it's just not giving you a display.
It has no storage battery, just a 'memory' battery that lasts about a month, if the power is disconnected from the battery.
It draws about 30 milliwatts.
You don't want to remove it from power, and if it drains your battery, that is normal for the amount of time it's left dormant (months).

If you can get a Shorai battery to go dead, you'd be the first I've heard of.

My crf450X sat for 9 weeks, and it spun the starter like like it was one day.

I'm not sure why you would want to add more points of failure into what is already an extremely simple and effective system.....

• woods-rider

Posted April 18, 2013 - 03:49 PM

Are you saying that your computer does not go dark when the bike is switched off?

The computer is still active with the ignition switch is turned off, still drawing from the battery even if the switch is off, it's just not giving you a display.
It has no storage battery, just a 'memory' battery that lasts about a month, if the power is disconnected from the battery.
It draws about 30 milliwatts.
You don't want to remove it from power, and if it drains your battery, that is normal for the amount of time it's left dormant (months).

If you can get a Shorai battery to go dead, you'd be the first I've heard of.

My crf450X sat for 9 weeks, and it spun the starter like like it was one day.

I'm not sure why you would want to add more points of failure into what is already an extremely simple and effective system.....

The computer stays lit when the motor is off, but the ignition button still on.

The issue I am trying to solve is when I forget to turn the ignition off. Bike is off, ignition is on and computer display is on and kills the battery over night.

It is simple, but I have forgotten to turn it off multiple times probably around a dozen) over the past seven years and I read the the new lithium batteries aren't as resilient when being completely drained as a typical lead acid battery which is why I want to add this extra line of protection.

• moto2000

Posted April 19, 2013 - 04:00 PM

This has an adjustable delay...might work for you

http://www.trailtech...7004-RR150.html

• tomerb

Posted April 19, 2013 - 08:34 PM

Stop using the kill switch when turning the motor off! Use the main power switch. Would you say that every time you drop your bike the kill switch is always easier to get to then the main power switch?

• woods-rider

Posted April 22, 2013 - 08:06 AM

This has an adjustable delay...might work for you

http://www.trailtech...7004-RR150.html

That probably would work, but the price point is just too high for what I want. I would really like to find something in the $15 area that I can just put in line with the ignition power line. Maybe I am wanting too much for too little?

Stop using the kill switch when turning the motor off! Use the main power switch. Would you say that every time you drop your bike the kill switch is always easier to get to then the main power switch?

Yes, I would say that every time I drop my bike the kill switch is much easier to get to than the main power switch. I do not want to have to use the main power switch to kill the bike.

• allterra

Posted May 03, 2013 - 07:35 PM

If you really want to get in to it than try this with a 555 timer it would require you to hit the power button off and on to restart the bike. best thing is it can all be potted to become completely water proof, shock proof and can be made to take up less room than a AA battery. plus you can get a free sample. http://touchstonesem...tm_campaign=CSA

Edited by allterra, May 03, 2013 - 07:36 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.