Auxilary gas tank?

5 replies to this topic
  • dale

Posted December 04, 2003 - 03:57 PM

I am planning to change WR426 to the YZ tank & seat. If the stock YZ tank could make it 50 miles in eastern conditions, that would be good for me. How about using the stock coolant overflow tank for a back up fuel tank? I know Acerbis makes one, but I would only need it a few times a year when I go to VW or TN. Then I don't have to deal with any of the mounting problems of aftermarket tanks all year for something I only need a couple times. I don't even care if I have to unbolt the thing to pour the gas into the tank if I need it. Do the YZ's have a higher pressure cap? Any comments?

• jasowiii

Posted December 04, 2003 - 08:47 PM

Dale,
I have always wanted to fill my swing arm with fuel! I know it sounds far fetched, but I bet a guy could get the better part of a gallon in it and what better place to put the weight? I know people plumb coolant to the frame on some bikes.
I have a YZ tank if you want it make me an offer, it's a little scratched up.I ride woods mostly, as far back as I can go. I have a big Acerbis tank and love it. I'll tap my swing arm if I ever ge the time.
By the way, I grew up in Kettering, Went to Fairmont East. We rode all through the area that is now I-675 between Beavercreek and Centerville. :)

Jimmy

• dale

Posted December 05, 2003 - 03:22 PM

I don't know how your would get the fuel out of the swingarm unless you had a fuel pump. Cool your from this area. There are a few stock YZ tanks on ebay I am watching, let me get back to you on the tank unless you have a price in mind. Anyone know how may miles a stock YZ tank (2.1 gal) will go in eastern woods conditions? I got 45 miles on the XR400 before reserve which was using 2 gal. I rarely need more than that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MN

Posted December 05, 2003 - 03:44 PM

I've had the same idea, cant provide any technical feedback, but will probably try and do the same thing soon.

• jwriott

Posted December 05, 2003 - 07:51 PM

Acerbis used to make a fuel tank that replaced the left side numberplate. It held held a little over a gallon.

• mash

Posted December 05, 2003 - 11:00 PM

bumtanks, these are tanks that fit on the rear gaurd just behind the seat, generally up to 5 litres (approx1.5 gallons)they tee into the fuel line and can be fitted and removed easily.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.