YZ450F wont start, HELP!

5 replies to this topic
  • motox318

Posted April 17, 2013 - 05:43 PM

I have a 2005 YZ450F and it was hard to start so i shimed the valves and they are perfectly in spec now, and im pretty sure the timing is perfect, the lobes are facing out and the dots are horizontal to the head. also the 2 dots are facing straight up and there are 12 pins in between the 2 dots. now i cant get it to start. i have nooo idea what to do now, it also has good spark. please help me!

Edited by motox318, April 17, 2013 - 05:44 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted April 17, 2013 - 09:50 PM

... the lobes are facing out and the dots are horizontal to the head. also the 2 dots are facing straight up and [color=#ff0000]there are 12 pins in between the 2 dots[/color]. now i cant get it to start. i have nooo idea what to do now, it also has good spark. please help me!

Should be 13. Check the other two marks again. One of them is wrong.

• Yamaryder29

Posted April 18, 2013 - 04:07 AM

Also, make sure the crank is in the proper TDC for checking your timing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 18, 2013 - 06:23 AM

Also, make sure the crank is in the proper TDC for checking your timing.

Misleading: There is no wrong TDC to set timing. The ignition fires on every revolution, so it makes no difference which TDC is used. If the cams appear to be upside down when checking timing, simply turn the engine one more revolution.

• motox318

Posted April 18, 2013 - 02:03 PM

Should be 13. Check the other two marks again. One of them is wrong.

I've heard 12 and 13, problem is that its a factory bike so it has a different side cover and there is no 2 caps to remove to check the tdc from there, so that makes it a bit more difficult.

• Yzflier977

Posted April 19, 2013 - 04:59 PM

Shade tree mechanics way to find TDC, remove spark plug and insert a plastic straw into the spark plug hole and watch it move up and down until you find the uppermost part of the stroke. You should be able to move it slowly with the kick starter lever using your hand. Not exact, but in the absence of timing marks or a viewing hole should get you close.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.