shortened stock muffler?

10 replies to this topic
  • MikeOK

Posted November 20, 2001 - 05:57 PM

I remember about a year ago someone posting here that they had cut down the stock muffler, if I remember right it was 2" shorter than stock. Have any of you done this? I'm thinking about getting a WB R4 for my '00 but I thought I might try doing this first and see how it goes...

• yzernie

Posted November 20, 2001 - 07:15 PM

My buddy cut his down almost three inches. He said it increased low and mid power. Top end was no different. It was obviously louder.

Ernie

• Chris_Slade

Posted November 20, 2001 - 10:52 PM

Geez, a LOUDER 426? Whew! I can't hear my bike already with one of them behind me, with stock exhaust!

• thumper4life

Posted November 27, 2001 - 06:18 AM

you should hear my friends 426, powerbomb header, e series silencer.......no disks :) i love it

• 426_Pilot

Posted November 28, 2001 - 05:38 PM

Cut the muffler? Where?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Psycho426

Posted November 28, 2001 - 10:15 PM

The Canadian version has a conical endcap with pop rivets.
<ul type="square">[*]How will I go about doing that on my Canadian model?[*]Is there a rule of thumb on how much to cut off?[*]Are there any dangers in cutting it too short?
[/list]I wouldn't mind for even more bottom and mid powerPosted Image

[ November 29, 2001: Message edited by: Psycho426 ]

• forloop

Posted November 29, 2001 - 04:30 AM

Remember this is not a 2-stroke. On 4 stroke motors, if you decrease the back pressure you increase top end and loose low end.

I would think by cutting the silencer you would increase top end and loose bottom end. Just run open header and see what happpen. :)

Later,

• yzernie

Posted November 29, 2001 - 04:39 AM

Forloop,

What you say makes sense. I never got to ride my friends bike after he cut his muffler so I could not compare stock to the cut version. I think he might have inhaled to many fumes from the leaded race fuel!!

Ernie

• mcarp

Posted November 29, 2001 - 10:45 PM

My WB e-series shorty boosted low-mid range on my YZ timed WR. Top end was unaffected, it revved through the high end very quickly before with a stock YZ pipe and after the E-series. 12 disks, diffuser cap w/ tapered header (used tapered header before the e-series, too)

• MATTHUMPER

Posted November 29, 2001 - 05:36 PM

YOU GUYS NEED TO COME TO BELOW SEA LEVEL AND RIDE YOUR BIKE YOU WOULD NOT F...WITH A THING. THE BIKE IS WINNING BIG PRAISE NOT CAUSE SOMEONE TOOK A HACK SAW TO IT!!

"THE WHEEL IS ROUND", MAYBE IT SHOULD STAY THAT WAY

00ZX11
MOUNTAINBIKE
THUMB

• MATTHUMPER

Posted November 29, 2001 - 05:37 PM

YOU GUYS NEED TO COME TO BELOW SEA LEVEL AND RIDE YOUR BIKE YOU WOULD NOT F...WITH A THING. THE BIKE IS WINNING BIG PRAISE NOT CAUSE SOMEONE TOOK A HACK SAW TO IT!!

"THE WHEEL IS ROUND", MAYBE IT SHOULD STAY THAT WAY

00ZX11
MOUNTAINBIKE
THUMB

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.