2007 YZ 450 Kick Starter lever relacement

3 replies to this topic
  • DRW 1

Posted April 16, 2013 - 06:17 PM

First Time T.T. user, I Bought a 07 YZf 450 ,I need to change the Kick Start Lever I't look's simple enought Allenhead bolt ,Slide off old lever Slide on new one ? Now before I Mess it up , Does it have right or left Hand thread's ? And do i need a puller of some sort to pull off old lever assembly ? ( Going to buy and new shop manual as soon as i can find one ) ! Thank's For Any Help ! P.S. I've Been around Bike's for 40 yr,s , But It's been 20 yr's since I 've had My own to trail ride and Tinker with .( Raced a little Moto-Cross back in the day 70,s+ 80,s) I Have alot of Question's about these Four- Stroke's , But it should Be Fun,I feel Like a kid again . Sorry for the Rambling .

• Nautical Miles

Posted April 16, 2013 - 10:43 PM

Hey welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy your "new to you" bike. When you get a moment, you ought to poke around here http://www.thumperta...ssues-and-faqs/
you will find a lot of useful information, ideas and sometime inspiration, particularly in the 06-09 YZ450F range.

Secondly, here are two different links for factory manuals, downloadable for free. Just follow the instructions on the page. If you lose the links, you can always go to the link above (which is found at the beginning of TT's YZ450F thread) and scroll down and you will find your way again.
There should be plenty of information for you to get where you need to go from here.

But on another note, kick starter R&R is relatively straight forward.
Have fun.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yamaryder29

Posted April 17, 2013 - 05:38 AM

The allen bolt is a right handed thread, so turn it counter clock wise to loosen it. After you take the bolt off, if the old kicker doesn't pull right off, spray some pb blaster into the splines on the shaft. You should be able to work it loose. Use Loctite on the bolt when you reinstall it. Good Luck!!!

• DRW 1

Posted April 17, 2013 - 12:07 PM

Hey Guy's it Me again, Thank's for the Info. and Tip's . I tried a brand new 6mm. allen wrench,and with a medium size brass hammer (Yea , I know if you need a hammer to work on your bike your inTrouble already) But I tried the allen wrench alone and with a cheater bar , No luck ,I tried tapping with the hammer still no luck ! I don't want to round out the bolt so I Quit ! Time to take a break ,and rethink My option's . Any Idea's welcome , ( Can't Freeze or Heat it to shrink or expand it )

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.