2012+ Pc5 vs GYTR tunner and Race ECM

8 replies to this topic
  • EdgeR6

Posted April 16, 2013 - 07:56 AM

I have not seen a discussion on this topic in detail, the advantages or disadvantages of each. I am trying to decide, kind of leaning towards the pc5 because I will get the auto tune, but should I run both the pc5 and the Race ECM. I also like the fact that the gytr is a Yamaha product.

Thanks for your input.

• GP1K

Posted April 16, 2013 - 08:09 AM

What's the 'race ECM'? Do you mean the GYTR ECU? If so, you need that either way, as the stock ECU is locked and not programmable. Unless the PC5 gets around that somehow.

I have the GYTR power tuner, and so far so good. My only complaint is finding good maps for it. Or the question nobody seems to be able to answer: are the maps on Yamaha's website assuming a stock bike or modified bike?

• EdgeR6

Posted April 17, 2013 - 08:35 AM

Yes that's what I ment GYTR Competition Kit/ ECU. anyone else have any input.

• Remington_NC

Posted April 17, 2013 - 09:07 AM

Hi man,

I just bought the same bike. I thought it was nice from the dealer but the 1/8 throttle was not happening.

Here's what I did for the power up, then I rode a full day this past weekend:

- I bought the gytr competition kit = this is a programmable ecu and YZ throttle stop screw. This doesn't stop your throttle it just plugs the hole.
- I bought the gytr ecu power tuner.
- I bought the gytr FMF power core silencer. (you can really buy any silencer, I was getting happy at the dealer so I got it all there.

I removed the rubber airbox snorkel under your seat and plugged in the ecu and silencer. I found a few map options online. If you Google search "transmoto" there is a article under 2012 WR450 maps and they list about 5 or 6 maps to pick.

I loaded up the "sand map" which is pretty aggressive and the whole package worked literally amazing. I liked this bike before I went riding, now I love it even more.

Any of the maps you will find there are great starting points, however you should really play with them a small amount at a time to get it where you like. For example, I ended up adding some timing on the top end on my original sand map to keep the engine pulling in the top end. But to answer your original question I believe any of these maps are intended for an uncorked WR.

Hope this helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GP1K

Posted April 17, 2013 - 02:48 PM

Hi man,

I just bought the same bike. I thought it was nice from the dealer but the 1/8 throttle was not happening.

Here's what I did for the power up, then I rode a full day this past weekend:

- I bought the gytr competition kit = this is a programmable ecu and YZ throttle stop screw. This doesn't stop your throttle it just plugs the hole.
- I bought the gytr ecu power tuner.
- I bought the gytr FMF power core silencer. (you can really buy any silencer, I was getting happy at the dealer so I got it all there.

I removed the rubber airbox snorkel under your seat and plugged in the ecu and silencer. I found a few map options online. If you Google search "transmoto" there is a article under 2012 WR450 maps and they list about 5 or 6 maps to pick.

I loaded up the "sand map" which is pretty aggressive and the whole package worked literally amazing. I liked this bike before I went riding, now I love it even more.

Any of the maps you will find there are great starting points, however you should really play with them a small amount at a time to get it where you like. For example, I ended up adding some timing on the top end on my original sand map to keep the engine pulling in the top end. But to answer your original question I believe any of these maps are intended for an uncorked WR.

Hope this helps.

I have pretty much the same setup as you, but I went with the Q4 muffler vs the Powercore. Currently I have the 'woods/tight trail' map from Yamaha's website, as that's mostly where I ride. That feels pretty good so far, but I definitely want to play around with it some. I made a custom map that's kind of a hybrid between the 'GYTR by FMF' map and the 'muddy/slippery surface' map, trying to get the best of both worlds, a little softer on the bottom for the tight technical stuff, but still have full steam on top. Haven't had a chance to test it yet though.

Here's a link to the maps at Yamaha:

http://www.yamaha-mo...r_settings.aspx

Posted Image

• EdgeR6

Posted April 18, 2013 - 04:46 PM

so i emailed pc, bassicly what they said was that the pc5 has a lot more tunning points. and no u do not have to have the competion ecu. so now the question is do u get the competion ecu and pc5 or dfoezx it not make a difference i will have to e masil them back.

• 270winchester

Posted April 18, 2013 - 05:03 PM

I have pretty much the same setup as you, but I went with the Q4 muffler vs the Powercore. Currently I have the 'woods/tight trail' map from Yamaha's website, as that's mostly where I ride. That feels pretty good so far, but I definitely want to play around with it some. I made a custom map that's kind of a hybrid between the 'GYTR by FMF' map and the 'muddy/slippery surface' map, trying to get the best of both worlds, a little softer on the bottom for the tight technical stuff, but still have full steam on top. Haven't had a chance to test it yet though.

Here's a link to the maps at Yamaha:

http://www.yamaha-mo...r_settings.aspx

Posted Image

The first two maps are the same now??? I am fairly sure they used to be different.

• GP1K

Posted April 19, 2013 - 08:18 AM

The first two maps are the same now??? I am fairly sure they used to be different.

Wow that's weird... I thought they were slightly different before as well. I have a snapshot of that same pic on my iPad from about a month ago, but it's the same as this one I linked right from Yamaha's website.

No wonder there's so much FUD around these maps... :confused:

• Ricky Roma

Posted April 19, 2013 - 11:20 PM

They are different, for sure.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.