Hooking up electrical in enclosed trailer

8 replies to this topic
  • BobbyPrice

Posted April 15, 2013 - 09:02 PM

I just bought a 7x16 v nose enclosed trailer and I am wondering the best way to run power to the trailer will be.

I want to run just some basic 110v lights inside the trailer. I will prob get some fluorescent strip lights for lighting.

I will also want to run 110v volt small stereo, 20 inch tv, a couple fans, and maybe a game console.

I want to know how to run all this to connect to a single honda EU2000I.

All the posts I've read seem to talk about running 12v and 110v together. I have no need for 12v setup as I will always have the genny going.

Would it be best to do the simple route and hook everything up to surge protector strips then hook the strips to an electrical cord that runs to the generator?

Or should I hard wire everything to a breaker box, then run a cord to the generator.

The Honda EU 2000 does not have the rv style 220v plug unless you run two so keep that in mind.

• SMarquez

Posted April 15, 2013 - 11:22 PM

Start with something like this on the outside. Use some kind of GFCI inside and wire the trailer basically like a house.
http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_cp_MI_3

• Chickenhauler

Posted April 16, 2013 - 09:33 AM

Would it be best to do the simple route and hook everything up to surge protector strips then hook the strips to an electrical cord that runs to the generator?

Or should I hard wire everything to a breaker box, then run a cord to the generator.

The Honda EU 2000 does not have the rv style 220v plug unless you run two so keep that in mind.

You could go the cord and power strip way, but if this is going to be a long term unit you plan to use alot, probably better to put some time into it than ghetto rigging every time you set up.

I'd get what Marquez linked to, wire to a breaker panel, then distribute your power from there to the locations where you'll want it.

• R.BENOIT

Posted April 26, 2013 - 02:14 PM

I'm using a power distribution box. ( northern tool) it was pricy . But I have 4 -20 amp circuits. This is plenty for a/c . Tv stereo. Xbox. Fridge. Micro. And air compressor . With some left over . I would make all the lighting 12v with battery's and charger . That way you have lights all the time even on side of the road . I got 2 deep cycle Optimas and should be able to go awhile

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gordo DeDog

Posted April 26, 2013 - 02:23 PM

I did mine with a deep cycle battery and inverter so could run my stuff at night and not bother any one
Then I mounted a on board battery chager/maintenancer that I can run off my generator or plug into a 120 volt socket during the day

• sagekalen

Posted March 05, 2014 - 06:43 PM

I know this is an older post but similar to what Im wanting to do.  I have an enclosed trailer with a built in 220v ac unit. plus has outlets in it already. Problem is I will not have access to 220 receptacle.  Can I do away with the 220 plug and still run the ac.  I will have a compressor, 120v heater, small led tv, xbox, small fridge, mircowave, and tools that I will be running through plugins but not at the same time.  

• R.BENOIT

Posted March 08, 2014 - 07:54 AM

No ,no, and no. A 220v a/c unit will burn up on 110v . You could run a 110v unit and the appliances you mentioned off 110v but not at the same time. Mainly because of the a/c and the micro. Doing so will burn up the 110v a/c unit
I know this is an older post but similar to what Im wanting to do. I have an enclosed trailer with a built in 220v ac unit. plus has outlets in it already. Problem is I will not have access to 220 receptacle. Can I do away with the 220 plug and still run the ac. I will have a compressor, 120v heater, small led tv, xbox, small fridge, mircowave, and tools that I will be running through plugins but not at the same time.

• sagekalen

Posted March 08, 2014 - 07:19 PM

http://www.amazon.co...RPVS916B8WP8NWF

Could I use something like this to make it work?

• R.BENOIT

Posted March 09, 2014 - 05:56 AM

Prolly not .

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.