Considering WR450. Anything to look for?

14 replies to this topic
  • cadman_ks

Posted April 14, 2013 - 12:09 PM

I currently have my FIRST dirt bike, a Suzuki DRZ-400 (it's a street legal dirt bike at the moment, and not a dual sport). I just got it last September, so I haven't had it long. I actually love this bike, and pretty much everything about it, except one thing: it's a pig. There's no denying that fact. But it is bullet proof, and that's a huge plus.

However, I'm considering turning it back into a true dual sport, and NOT using it for trail riding, but rather, my run around town, "street" bike, that I could take on dirt roads, if so inclined.

But, I still need something then, to sit along side my DRZ.

At this point, I'm considering a Honda CRF450X, or a WR450F. I will NOT consider anything that doesn't have an electric start. I spend too much time at this point on the ground (see above about my experience level), and probably more time on the ground on hill climbs. I don't have those totally mastered at this point.

I'm actually leaning more towards the WR, though, because I have a local dealer, and parts would be simple to come by. My nearest Honda dealer is about 35 miles away, and while that's not that bad, they wouldn't be as convenient.

In considering purchasing a WR, is there anything that I should be looking for when I go to look at used models? Years to avoid? Years that are better than others? Hours? Etc...

CADman_ks

• still2smokin

Posted April 14, 2013 - 02:40 PM

http://www.thumperta...y#entry10649305

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 14, 2013 - 10:05 PM

What's your budget.

If you are looking for a WR, the ones you should consider is... just about all of them! 2005 and up have estart

• miweber929

Posted April 15, 2013 - 04:23 AM

What's your budget.

If you are looking for a WR, the ones you should consider is... just about all of them! 2005 and up have estart

03 up have electric start, FYI.

• cadman_ks

Posted April 15, 2013 - 05:55 AM

What's your budget.

LOL on the all of them!

I don't really have a "budget" per se, other than I want the cheapest and best bike I can get for the money!

I've even toyed with the idea of trying to find a '12 leftover, even though that probably busts my budget, but the appealing thing there is FI. I do plan to go to higher elevations, and FI is a plus in those situations.

CADman_ks

Oh good... I thought that it was '03 and up, but the previous post caused me to pause!

Thanks!

CADman_ks

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 15, 2013 - 07:22 AM

Oops... You're right. I had the 05 on my mind because in California, the 05 and up are green sticker.

I stand corrected...

although... the 05's and up ARE e-start :prof: ;)

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 15, 2013 - 07:25 AM

LOL on the all of them!

I don't really have a "budget" per se, other than I want the cheapest and best bike I can get for the money!

I've even toyed with the idea of trying to find a '12 leftover, even though that probably busts my budget, but the appealing thing there is FI. I do plan to go to higher elevations, and FI is a plus in those situations.

Thanks!

Since you don't have a budget, get the 2012 or 2013. Why not!

But if you have to get a previous year model, you will be happy. On the 05 that I had (and miss very much), I rode it from 3000 to 9000 feet once I tuned the carb correctly. A quick and simple twist of the fuel screw or the leak jet screw was all that was needed to get me range in elevation that I needed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • whatsitmatter

Posted April 15, 2013 - 07:39 AM

I'd look for a 2004 on up WR (2003 had small issues , fixable though)... I got a nice condition, well maintained 2004 with only 50 hours for $3k and had the BAJA Designs kit on... Thing is rock solid.

These are pretty durable, strong bikes as well- so getting a used one that's been well maintained is a good bet.. save a few thousand and probably won't need much - just be sure the owner knew what they were doing (oil changes and general maintenence stuff)... you can save a bit of money , and these bikes really haven't changed too significantly since 2004... it's a dirt bike! :ride:

Definitely want to do the standard uncork mods that have been well documented. Lucky for me - all that was already done - another plus if you find the right bike used!

Weight is just relevant to what you are used to... Is that DRZ the 'S' model, or 'E' model... from what I have heard, the 'S' model is a bit on heavy pig side.. but the 'E' model or 'K' model are only a handful of lbs heavier then a WR..

Edited by whatsitmatter, April 15, 2013 - 07:40 AM.

• cadman_ks

Posted April 15, 2013 - 01:31 PM

Weight is just relevant to what you are used to... Is that DRZ the 'S' model, or 'E' model... from what I have heard, the 'S' model is a bit on heavy pig side.. but the 'E' model or 'K' model are only a handful of lbs heavier then a WR..

Mine is an "S" model. I haven't weighed my bike, but it's supposed to be somewhere in the 310lb range. It's OVER 300 for sure. But, it's a tank, there's no doubt about that. I would rather keep it for my ride-around bike, and have a second bike...

CADman_ks

• bg10459

Posted April 15, 2013 - 01:59 PM

I bought my 03 WR in 2005 and have since put on well over 5000 hard miles of riding and racing; it's even made a few appearances at an MX track. And I raced my first enduro with it just yesterday, though I did rebuild the top and bottom end last year at around the 5000 mile mark.

My point is, don't buy a bike like mine that's been beat hard for 8 years. Sure it was well maintained and still works great, but the next disaster could be just around the bend. Instead, buy a bike like mine WAS; almost perfect with 35 miles on it. Don't fear any year WR450 if it's in good condition. With a little care and maintenance you should achieve similar results with any of them.

• whatsitmatter

Posted April 15, 2013 - 06:03 PM

I bought my 03 WR in 2005 and have since put on well over 5000 hard miles of riding and racing; it's even made a few appearances at an MX track. And I raced my first enduro with it just yesterday, though I did rebuild the top and bottom end last year at around the 5000 mile mark.

My point is, don't buy a bike like mine that's been beat hard for 8 years. Sure it was well maintained and still works great, but the next disaster could be just around the bend. Instead, buy a bike like mine WAS; almost perfect with 35 miles on it. Don't fear any year WR450 if it's in good condition. With a little care and maintenance you should achieve similar results with any of them.

I had a buddy with a 2001 WR 426 he got used and has put around 12k miles on it dual sported (nothing over 55mph obviously). No issues, one valve adjustment. He rode it pretty hard, not motorcross / track stuff but through some tough trails and on road.

If you come across the right previous owner, especially 450s that rarely get pinned consistently like you need to keep a 250 - you can come across some bargains. I wouldn't buy a 250 used cause people ring those things out all the time I think 450's are a bit better used as far as longevity.. It just depends on who the previous owner situation, and going to the place - talking to the person - and riding the bike - you get an idea of the care and maintenance and how long it'll last. Engines don't just blow up without signs... Valve Clearance is important and can always ask the seller. Typically how well it starts up and idles / power in gear is a clear sign of engine wear/strength. Just my two cents, buying a used dirt bike can save you thousands (or cost you thousands :banghead: )- something to think about. But if money ain't no thang, then definitely get new!!

I just hate buying a new 'dir bike' for 7-8 grand nowawdays ,,

Regardless - very fun bike. I was actually going to get a DRZ400-E model and convert to on/off.. then found the WR450 for nearly same price! It's great having wide-ratio gearing (came off a husky close gear ratio)... but wish there was a 6th , not sure if the later models do---- anyone?

I've heard these engines are really reliable - I would suspect 15-20k+ miles before any major repair if you ride it as dual sport but not revving engine out constantly and maintaining it well.

Good luck -

• miweber929

Posted April 15, 2013 - 08:26 PM

although... the 05's and up ARE e-start :prof: ;)

You know, now that you mention it your statement actually was correct.......

I stand corrected as well :)

• ster1

Posted April 15, 2013 - 08:43 PM

I have an 04 wr450 with the magic button. The only problem I'm having is keeping the oil in the forks. I did have one problem that ended a day of riding and that is the decomp housing on the cylinder head. I guess the earlier heads had manual decomp or some external decomp lever, and Yammie kept using the old heads even though the 04's have "automatic" decomp internally. In any case, the decomp housing has a cheap plug that can blow out if your CC vent gets plugged with mud or something, and if that plug blows out, you'll have oil all over your right boot. Get a "wr450 decomp plug" off ebay for a few bucks to solve the problem. It's a aluminum plug with an 0-ring that you plug that hole with and that little set screw that doesn't appear to be doing anything else, holds it in. Other than that plug and the forks (and I should say mine were kinda scratched), it's been a bulletproof ride for me.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 16, 2013 - 07:33 AM

'06 for steel frame, '07 or later for allow frame.
I don't like the earlier WR's cause of the motor character, and the width.

A CRF450X has more potential for really competitive high speed off road, but it is a handful going slow.

• whatsitmatter

Posted April 16, 2013 - 08:39 AM

My 2004 WR 450 seems pretty narrow to me. I've heard the width argument before and don't really understand - you can judge for yourself from these pics. Also - the Steel frame is only a couple lbs heavier then the Allow frame - and I hear it's easier to get to parts on the Steel frame vs Alloy frame (I could be backwards on this, pls correct me if I'm wrong).. Nothing wrong iwth the motor but my experience is limited. Down low rpms isn't too punchy until you get higher but still controllable (and I'm using the YZ fueling / detached factory wire).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Either way - the WR 450 is a fun bike and doubt you'll regret buying one. My only caution are the 2003 models, as they had Woodruff Key issues breaking off. Here's a helpful link with mods / cautions / etc.

https://sites.google...hawr450fwr250f/

Cheers

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.