Will I be happy with the 2008?

8 replies to this topic
  • c-man

Posted April 14, 2013 - 06:35 AM

Comrades,

I have had a 2006 yz450 for 6 years now (previously had a 400 and 426). My 06' is in extremely good shape and I love the bike. My quandry is that I have a chance to buy an 08' with less than 20 hours on it (no joke). My bike has not been run hard but probably has around 200 hours on it. I have steered clear of the 08's and 09's as I know in stock form I would not like the engine power like I do my bike (I am 6'1" and 205# and can use the big boost).

My question is, if I get the 08' and put my 06' exhaust on it or say an FMF Q, will it be close to what my 06' engine feel is? I do want a quiet pipe to keep the neighbors happy. I have read the post about simply being able to aquire an 06' CDI box and I do see them on e-bay for around $100, but do I then have to mess with the timing, etc??

I did feel that the 09' I rode a few years back handled better than my 06', but the engine felt more like a 350 than a 450. I feel that if I keep my 06' I should look at a piston and timing chain in the next year or 2 and that costs $ as well. Oh yeah, I think I could get the 08 and sell my 06' for less than $500 difference.

Input and/or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

C

• grayracer513

Posted April 14, 2013 - 06:51 AM

Any decent exhaust and the '06 CDI will usually fix the common complaints about the low end grunt on the '08.

• c-man

Posted April 14, 2013 - 07:02 AM

Thanks for chiming in Grey...I was hoping I'd hear from you. Simply buy an 06 CDI and plug it in? Are timing adjustments, etc needed??

Thanks,

C

• souliog

Posted April 14, 2013 - 07:21 AM

Sounds like a good plan, but why not upgrade to a 2010 or newer?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • c-man

Posted April 14, 2013 - 07:36 AM

Don't care for the looks or the ergos of the 10+ models (fat between the knees, etc) and most people I talk to don't like the power delivery of the engine. All low end with virtually no over-rev. I will wait to see what yammie does on their next revision before putting forth any large amount of $ on that new of a bike.

C

• souliog

Posted April 14, 2013 - 09:32 AM

Ok...why noy Honda Suzuki ktm or Kawi?

I haven't tried a 2010 yet but if I don't like it I'll try another brand.

• grayracer513

Posted April 14, 2013 - 02:44 PM

Simply buy an 06 CDI and plug it in? Are timing adjustments, etc needed??

No adjustments possible. That's OK in this case, because none are needed, and it can't be done wrong.

• jas1983

Posted April 15, 2013 - 12:19 PM

I can say that I enjoy the 08 and this is my first bike. For me it feels pretty good even though I'm 5'8" 155lbs so the bike really don't feel me on it.:D Anyways, the way I look at the power is that it won't wear you out as fast do to the lack of a hard bottom. Just my two cents.

• Yzflier977

Posted April 15, 2013 - 04:17 PM

Bought a used low hour '09 last year and with exhaust modifications, the '06 CDI box and a small gearing change on the back, I love my bike. The 08 and 09 are almost identical. Can't really speak of the differences between your 06 and the 09 as I am not that familiar with other models. I will say that I rode it stock for 20 hours (by my newly installed hour meter) before making any changes. The 3 mods mentioned made a big difference in performance. Additionally I slid the fork legs up in the triple clamps 7 mm to help with cornering for the mx riding that I do. Also race sag is pretty important to handling as well.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.