Bar and sub mount riser combo, how tall is too tall on '06 450?

6 replies to this topic
  • supermoto400

Posted April 13, 2013 - 09:42 PM

I've searched quite a bit but have not seen anyone else with the same bar/sub mount/tank combo I'm contemplating. After 20+ hours on my stock '06 YZ450 I've decided the reason I'm so worn out after a ride is because the stock ergo's are not a good match for me. I'm 6'2" and long in the torso so standing up for any length of time is brutal. I see alot of taller folks on here rave about the Pro Taper Windhams so I've got a set ready to go on now. I'm also moving my Scott's steering dampner over from my WR and just ordered the rubber mounted sub mount kit from Scott's for the stock top tripple clamp. I'm told this sub mount kit will provide approx. 25 mm rise vs. the stock setup. So 1 inch rise in the sub mount kit then at least another inch in the Windhams compared to the stock bar I'm wondering if the cables will be long enough? I 'm also now running an IMS 3.1 gallon fuel tank and wondering if the sub mount kit will work with the IMS tank since they both use the same top mount location? Anyone running a Scott's steering stabilizer with IMS tank on your '06 - '09?
There's got to be lots of taller folks running a similar combo these days... any feedback on this combo is appreciated... Thanks in advance!

• Chazmagnum

Posted April 13, 2013 - 11:05 PM

I'm 6'2" also. Renthal fat bar Carmichael highs, in the # 3 or 4 alignment position. It looks like a freestyle setup to my vertically challenged friends. But it is so much more comfortable when standing.

• mikedabike

Posted April 14, 2013 - 11:43 AM

What helps as much or more than taller bars is moving them forward. Look for a top clamp that moves the bars forward some. I am 6 3 and when i was running a sub mount damper i found that plus tall bars was a bit too much. Messes up the handling.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 14, 2013 - 02:40 PM

The combination of the Windhams, or any similar bar, and the Sub mount will be too tall. The cables are almost certainly too short for the two together. Besides that, that's just too tall for someone 6'2".

OTOH, the Scotts sub mount is compatible with the IMS tank, so you're good there.

• supermoto400

Posted April 14, 2013 - 08:36 PM

Thank you for the feedback guys... I think I will skip the sub mount and go with the original top mount fot the Scott's damper and the Windham bars. This should be a huge improvement over what I'm running now and I won't have to worry about it being too tall or the cables being too short. Thanks again!

• Eric@ScottsPerformance

Posted April 15, 2013 - 12:19 PM

Windham bars, the SUB mount and the IMS tank pose no problems with fitment or cables. Whether or not it is to tall foryou is up to opinion. Some guys like the bars really tall and others dont. If you told me you were 5'10 I would say that YES that is probably to tall for you.
Thanks-
Eric

• supermoto400

Posted April 15, 2013 - 09:25 PM

Thank you Eric, I spoke with you this morning about this and you got me all fixed up. I appreciate your advise and stellar customer service as usual!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.