Yz 450 engine knock?

22 replies to this topic
  • Curtybird95

Posted April 13, 2013 - 09:24 PM

My 2003 yz 450 started making a knocking noise after i was riding. I was hitting the rev limiter and once i slowed down i noticed the noise, i heard they r loud but is this normal? Heres a link of my bike and the noise on youtube

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=VGSEbis0Gqg

Thanks for the help.

• etuke

Posted April 14, 2013 - 05:51 AM

cant watch your video,comes up as page cannot be displayed

• ericus

Posted April 14, 2013 - 07:15 AM

cant watch your video,comes up as page cannot be displayed

Try this link instead.

• souliog

Posted April 14, 2013 - 07:18 AM

Yikes...sounds like a rod knock to me.

• etuke

Posted April 14, 2013 - 07:29 AM

definitely not normal,did you check the oil filter for metal?Check the timing tensioner also but sounds like crank.

• Curtybird95

Posted April 14, 2013 - 08:13 AM

I did not check the oil for metal, i just got the bike and rode it for two weeks then this happened? How do you replace a rod? Will it be okay to ride? I have a big trip coming this weekend and dont have time to fix it...

• Curtybird95

Posted April 14, 2013 - 08:15 AM

How will i know if the tensioner is bad? And what about the crank? Im new to working on these bikes so need all the help i can get...

• etuke

Posted April 14, 2013 - 08:31 AM

if the crank is the cause then riding it will only due more damage,if it snaps then you could ruin the complete engine.My advice is get somebody who knows how to check these things,definately don't ride it the way it is.

• Curtybird95

Posted April 14, 2013 - 08:43 AM

Would the whole crankcase be bad?

• etuke

Posted April 14, 2013 - 09:07 AM

if you ride it like that then that's a possibility,as of now most likely just a crank.You can check the tensioner by taking out the end screw and use a flat top screwdriver to tension it,I think to tension it you go counterclockwise but not 100% sure on that now.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • souliog

Posted April 14, 2013 - 09:43 AM

This is the hard truth.....that bike is smoked. Cancel the trip until it's fixed.

• Curtybird95

Posted April 15, 2013 - 08:37 AM

Is there any possiility that it could just be the timing chain tensioner?

• DGXR

Posted April 15, 2013 - 10:55 AM

If the crank is the cause then riding it will only do more damage. If it snaps then you could ruin the complete engine. My advice is get somebody who knows how to check these things, definitely don't ride it the way it is.

x2

Is there any possiility that it could just be the timing chain tensioner?

Sure it's possible, and there are a few other possibilities too. Many responders believe the noise could be something serious, but most of us are giving you an educated guess and nobody on an internet forum can guarantee you what the exact problem is. To me, it sounds pretty healthy except for that suspicious knocking sound... I don't know what the noise is but I suggest that you not ride it until it's fixed. What is the bike's history? Have you hit the rev limiter ever since you got the bike two weeks ago? Does it have any performance upgrades or aftermarket parts? Do you have any information on valve checks, oil changes, or other maintenance history? More info would be useful for anyone here who wants to help you.

You said that you aren't very familiar with the bike, so if you want to get it diagnosed and fixed in time for your big trip next weekend, take it to a professional and be prepared to spend some money. If you want to fix it yourself, it's going to take some time to get it done. Good luck!

Edited by DGXR, April 15, 2013 - 10:56 AM.

• vic2340

Posted April 15, 2013 - 08:25 PM

To tell you the truth I think its not that bad. Every yz450f ive ever heard has knocked, yours doesnt knock to out of the ordinary as to what ive seen and heard. I dont know if your not but make sure your running 93 octane and that your valve clearances are set to spec. Also if the bike hasnt been taken apart in a very long time it may be a good idea to get a gasket kit and dismantle the top end. Simply look for anything out of the ordinary and check the dimensions listed in your manual. Remember even with a new top end and everything perfect that engine is loud and will make a tapping noise no matter what. My 2009 yz450f has ever since Ive owned it and so has my buddies 2007.

• vic2340

Posted April 15, 2013 - 08:27 PM

Actually i just watched the video again and listened and heard it knock even when you gave it throttle, thats not normal, you have to take that puppy apart asap. sorry

• Curtybird95

Posted April 16, 2013 - 08:57 AM

It has hot cams stage 2 and a yoshimura pro series exhaust, now the bike is completetly locked up, i cant even kick it, the kick start is frozen.. And i cant push it in neutral, i have to have the clutch in otherwise it wont budge, any ideas?

• DGXR

Posted April 16, 2013 - 01:45 PM

It has hot cams stage 2 and a yoshimura pro series exhaust, now the bike is completetly locked up, i cant even kick it, the kick start is frozen.. And i cant push it in neutral, i have to have the clutch in otherwise it wont budge, any ideas?

If you are SURE it's in neutral and the kickstart is locked and the countershaft won't turn without a pull on the clutch lever, all I can say is you have a serious problem with your bottom-end, maybe the crank or gears or gear shafts or something else. Time to finally do something and get it looked at. Let us know what you find. Good luck.

• grayracer513

Posted April 16, 2013 - 02:09 PM

Crank. Big end is locked up.

• yamahakid88

Posted April 16, 2013 - 06:08 PM

Sounds like your crank is gone brother. Those bearings most likely seized up on you, if you check your oil filter you will likely find some metal shavings in it.

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted April 16, 2013 - 06:29 PM

Since its new to you - have to checked to see if it has oil and coolant in it?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.