2007 YZ450 Head Torque

3 replies to this topic
  • Runafter

Posted April 13, 2013 - 07:27 PM

I have found some torque specs in the owners manuel to be incorrect. On a previous top end rebuild bike was burning oil. Rings and bore were completely gone about 25 hours. Could this be from over Torqeing the head? I went by the manuel 22 ftLBS. to set gasket, Loosen 14 ftlbs and 180 degrees.

• Nautical Miles

Posted April 14, 2013 - 01:41 AM

http://www.thumperta...ead-tightening/

Here is thread from the "common mods and issues" sticky at the top of the yz450 etc. forum. GrayRacer chimed in and explained the torque sequence (the same one you have described.... as well as the manual). I have followed this sequence several times now, with piston replacement, without, head gasket change, valve work.... etc... and have had no failures that you have mentioned. The only other thing I can theorize as a possible issue, is if you did any piston work with slight improper maintenance. No discredit to you of course. I just cant imagine there being much of anything cylinder head torque can do to the bore if done properly, in steps, according to the manual.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 14, 2013 - 06:31 AM

The process described in the manual ends up generating about 50 ft/lb of torque. That can vary some because using torque at the bolt head on a bolt that long produces inconsistent true clamping force over the bolt set, whereas the idea of angle torquing in the first place is to have consistent clamping force regardless of torque, thread friction, bolt twist, etc. If it's done right, it will not distort the bore or cause any problems.

• Runafter

Posted April 14, 2013 - 07:25 AM

Thanks for the info guys. you also answered my second question about lube for the treads.

Runafter

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.