WR450 Spark Plug?

4 replies to this topic
  • KentuckyWR

Posted December 03, 2003 - 08:05 AM

Trying to be prepared . . .
I bought two spare plugs for my WR450.
I then was told by a WR426 owner that a standard plug sockect wouldn't fit all the way down into the head.
My dealer gave me a plug socket that will probably work (thin walled) but then I got to the real problem.
I can get the spark plug cap/coil to lift fully out of the head.
It hits the frame before I get the needed clearance.
Can that plug cap/coil be seperated into two pieces?
Is there something simple I am missing here?
What a poor design!
Hopefully I won't need to replace a plug (especially on the trail) except a couple times a year for maintenance. I NEVER fouled a plug on my XR600s in over 12 years of riding them . . . but I always had a couple spares and the tools necessary to change it just in case!

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 03, 2003 - 08:29 AM

You have to pull it off and bend it away from the frame as you lift up. It is snug but it does come off. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KentuckyWR

Posted December 03, 2003 - 09:53 AM

I'll try again this afternoon.
I just hate to apply too much force if not necessary.

• KentuckyWR

Posted December 03, 2003 - 02:25 PM

It does come out but with a little more force than I'd like especially since it is an expensive little item. And a standard Craftsman spark plug socket with a small extension will reach and remove the plug.
Not a problem! Just gotta tug and wiggle a little to get it out! :)

• dave450wr

Posted December 04, 2003 - 02:17 AM

I had trouble getting my plug/coil cap out too.IT DOES COME OUT , but it's a tight fit.As for getting the plug undone the socket supplied from yamaha works a treat,Just hope i dont have to do it on the trail.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.