2011 YZ450 White smoke from oil breather

2 replies to this topic
  • stoney55

Posted April 08, 2013 - 02:52 PM

I always get good answers here so i'm asking before i take it to a shop. i did search the threads and didn't see anything close enough to convince me it's my problem.
Did an oil change this morning and took the bike to the track. noticed white smoke coming from the oil breather hose. must have just started cause i was following the bike (this is my sons bike) and it was very noticable. It is not a big cloud but just a small puff so to speak when he is on the gas. we let the bike cool down and checked the radiator fluid it was still very visible but a little low. the oil shows no sign of fluid being mixed in. i had him ride it again for a short little bid and it continues to blow smoke especially when reved up. also notice fluid coming out, not alot but little splatters when reving the bike. looks like water to me not thick enough to be oil. doesn't have much odor to the smoke at all. Any help or ideas will be helpful. thanks in advance.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 08, 2013 - 03:45 PM

"Blow by". Combustion gasses escaping past the piston into the crankcase, and then out the breather. Entirely normal to an extent, but could be excessive, too. Does the bike use oil?

• stoney55

Posted April 08, 2013 - 04:36 PM

Does not use excessive oil at all, oil changes are done about every 3 rides so not sure we would pick up on that very easily. could some bad oil maybe be possible? we rode yesterday hard for about 4 hours and it didn't smoke at all. or maybe something else. thanks

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.