WR450F 2-trac ?

14 replies to this topic
  • MarkCh

Posted December 03, 2003 - 01:00 AM

Anyone know if/when Yamaha USA will import the WR450F 2-trac?
Thanks,
MarkCh

Edited:
I just saw a French site which list the price at: 12,195 Euros, the normal WR450F is 8,224. Nearly a 50% increase in price. With a US MSRP of $6,399 for the WR450F, adding about 50% (as in France) I'd assume that the 2 trac would cost near $10,000 in the US.

• icerider

Posted December 04, 2003 - 07:55 PM

I have my dealer trying to find out for me right now!!! I hope they do, could you imagine the trails you could go up with that baby :D If I find anything out I will let ya know :)

Dallas

• MarkCh

Posted December 05, 2003 - 03:50 PM

Thanks

• icerider

Posted December 10, 2003 - 11:35 AM

My dealer finally heard from his rep and said that the 2 trac is not going to be in the USA for now :D and he didnt know if it would ever make it here?? Not the news I wanted to hear :)

Dallas

• pedman

Posted December 10, 2003 - 12:53 PM

Not sure if this would be a fun bike to ride. Think about it. For mud on a flat surface it would interesting but going up hill I would think that this could be dangerous.

I am thinking of the wheel resistance from the engine. When you roll off of the throttle you do get what I call 'engine braking or compression' and four strokes in the past are great for this. Yes, YZ/WR's are different than XR's, but thinking of coming off a hill and backing off of the throttle throws images of going over the bars to a new meaning. Not to mention going up hill on a technical slope and hitting obsticles and killing right on the hill.

JMHO - Anyone else have thoughts on this? :)

• Dean400

Posted December 10, 2003 - 05:46 PM

I think that going down a steep hill wouldn't be an issue. The article on the bike states that power is only transfered to the front wheel when the rear tire is spinning faster than the front. My theory is that the front wheel would not be engaged on a down hill run when you let off the throttle. Also, I don't think that there is much chance of stalling the bike with the front wheel, because of that reason.
:)

• icerider

Posted December 11, 2003 - 06:18 AM

Hey Pedman, I dont know what it would be like but I would still like to try it, as far as going over the bars on a down hill in the artical they said it would only get power to to front tire when the back tire is slipping, kinda like traction control :D If ya want to see the artical its in the Holiday issue of Motor Cyclist, at least thats where I seen it! I think this would be awesome on tight twisty and very hilly trails, it would give you alot more traction :D I cant remember the name of it but they used to have a 2wheel drive bike that ran a chain up front and it didnt have any suspension, and it had tires that looked like small tractor tires, I talked with one guy who had one of these and he said he never got stuck with it but it beat the crap out of him because it was so ruf riding. I dont know what it would be like but bring it on Yamaha :) I want one!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gadsen

Posted December 11, 2003 - 06:53 PM

Imagine how it would pull out of a turn! Oh, those old rough riding 2WD rig was called a Rokon I'll bet. :)

• icerider

Posted December 12, 2003 - 06:16 AM

You got it a Rocon that was the name :) They were very ugly and no suspension!!!

• MiniMadMan50

Posted December 12, 2003 - 10:48 AM

What's next guys? Cruise control and A/C? This 2-wheel drive nonesense takes the fun out of taming a 2 wheeled machine. To me, it's going to take a lot of the skill (and enjoyment) out of controlling your steed. PLUS with projected costs near to 10 thousand dollars? Oh hell no.
You want something with 2 wheel drive? Get a quad you pansies :) . Not interested :D

• icerider

Posted December 13, 2003 - 07:03 PM

Wow :D 10 thousand dollars maybe I dont want one!!! I would still like to try one just to say I did, and dont worry Mini I sure I could still wipe out on this thing or take a soil sample :D It would take a Very good bike to get me off mine I love it :) Will be roosting till I am to old to hold it up :D

• MiniMadMan50

Posted December 13, 2003 - 07:31 PM

Wow :) 10 thousand dollars maybe I dont want one!!! I would still like to try one just to say I did, and dont worry Mini I sure I could still wipe out on this thing or take a soil sample :D It would take a Very good bike to get me off mine I love it :D Will be roosting till I am to old to hold it up :D

:D
DO you by any chance have a picture of a Rocon?? I'd love to see one :D

• sargentrab

Posted December 13, 2003 - 08:22 PM

Check out http://www.rokonron.com/
should be plenty of pics. :)

• Belgian WR250F

Posted December 17, 2003 - 04:05 AM

I bought MotoCrampons yesterday, a french dirtbike mag and they have a big article on the new 450 Two Trac.
The bike has been developped by Yamaha France and Ohlins.
250 Will be made in 2004
First deliveries will be around March 2004
Of the 250, 100 will go to France, 50 to Australia and the remaining 100 will be divided in Europe.
There was a special remark in the article about why the USA wouldn't be getting any Two tracs.
Apparantly (according to the mag) Yamaha France had contacted all the big Yamaha headquarters to see who was interested, and the USA people had told them they weren't interested because they had doubts about selling these in the USA
David Fretigne; Yamaha France's factory pilot will race the 450 in rallies like the Dakar. He's done the Shamrock in Morocco and won.
Top speed in the desert is 15 percent higher than a normal WR 450.
Racing the twotrac in enduro's is not sure yet, main issue being that the front react different in technical trails.

The rumoured price for Belgium is 12000 Euro's.
A normal WR450 is 8000 Euro's in Belgium (no discount)
The two trac has factory Ohlins forks and shock, which in Belgium costs 3500 Euro at least.
Doesn't sound expensive if you look at it that way......

• icerider

Posted December 18, 2003 - 07:01 AM

Thanks Belgium its good to hear the real reasons why we never get things over here :) like you guys have over there, we always have to guess about it, and the price doesnt seem that much higher either, oh well I am still in love with mine its going to be awhile till I want a new one :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.