Ive run into some problems

3 replies to this topic
  • Paulreaper

Posted April 08, 2013 - 05:49 AM

Ok so 2 problems.
1. Ive put a 48 pilot jet in the carb and whilst trying to tune realised that
The idle is to high tried turning the knob and wound the idle screw
Fully out but still high does this mean I should go down a jet. I can
Control the idle only by using fuel mixture screw.
2. Ive bought a ufo rear fender with led rear light. I thought this would be
A direct replacement I.e wiring . I have 3 wire coming from bike a red a
Brown and a yellow on the fender it has a black red and yellow I have tried
All combinations but cannot get the bloody thing to work. Any ideas people.

Many thanks.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 08, 2013 - 06:40 AM

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]1. Ive put a 48 pilot jet in the carb and whilst trying to tune realised that [/background][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]The idle is to high tried turning the knob and wound the idle screw [/background][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Fully out but still high does this mean I should go down a jet. I can [/background][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Control the idle only by using fuel mixture screw.[/background][/font][/color]

HAVE YOU REMOVED YOUR SLIDE? You might have twisted the throttle wheel position, not allowing the slide to drop.
Check to see if the Idle screw cable is actually working, by pulling off the throttle wheel cover and looking.
Start with 1 turn out on the fuel screw, drop the idle as low as it will go, then raise it with the fuel screw.
Drop the idle with the idle screw again, and repeat.
If you have an air leak, you will have high idle.
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] [/background][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]2. Ive bought a ufo rear fender with led rear light. I thought this would be[/background][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]A direct replacement I.e wiring . I have 3 wire coming from bike a red a[/background][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Brown and a yellow on the fender it has a black red and yello[/background][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]TEST THE BULB you might have fried it.[/background][/font][/color]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miweber929

Posted April 08, 2013 - 06:47 AM

Ok so 2 problems.
1. Ive put a 48 pilot jet in the carb and whilst trying to tune realised that
The idle is to high tried turning the knob and wound the idle screw
Fully out but still high does this mean I should go down a jet. I can
Control the idle only by using fuel mixture screw.
2. Ive bought a ufo rear fender with led rear light. I thought this would be
A direct replacement I.e wiring . I have 3 wire coming from bike a red a
Brown and a yellow on the fender it has a black red and yellow I have tried
All combinations but cannot get the bloody thing to work. Any ideas people.

Many thanks.

1. Search a bit on here regarding jetting a 400, lots of people have been asking lately and one one very recently had almost your exact issue and I believe had the slide in upside down.

2. Black should be your ground and the colors will be running light and brake on the fender, not sure what color is what. Use a 9V battery to check or what I use is a bike battery on the shelf to check. Your bike should have 2 wires coming from it stock, yellow and brown if memory serves me (look at your manual) which is for a running light only. If you have more wires than you have an aftermarket wiring harness from a dual sort kit and only running the bike and using a meter will tell you what is what. Just fyi on a stock system there is no brake light switch nor will there be power without the bike running.

What year is your bike?

• Paulreaper

Posted April 08, 2013 - 07:17 AM

Ok guys thanks for replying I shall get out shortly to
Have another go with the idle situation and try and get
To look at the light again. I tried the old lamp and that
Works so at least I know its getting power.
One other thing quickly is ive had the starter motor
Repaired by a friend of a friend whos an auto electrician
And he said it will work fine now but ive just put it in and
Its abit temperamental. Sometimes it works sometimes
It wont sometimes I get nothing. Ive changed the switch
For a new one . And im sure the guy wouldn't have
Given it back broken. Any clue...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.