06 yz450 oil pump drive/idler gear

4 replies to this topic
  • Slow and Jerky

Posted April 08, 2013 - 05:43 AM

The oil pump drive gear (not the gear on the pump itself) seem sloppy to me. Does anyone know how loose this should be on the shaft, or maybe even a spec on the clearance? It looks like (from the microfiche) that the shaft is replaceable, but I am guessing the case has to split (true?)

My engine makes a fair amount of noise (more so it seems than other yz's) but the noise has not gotten drastically worse so at this point my guess is that gear is worn.

• grayracer513

Posted April 08, 2013 - 06:15 AM

The shaft bolts in from inside the cases, so they would need splitting to replace it. I doubt there's a significant amount of wear on it, though. If there is, you should be able to measure it by comparing the diameter of the shaft under the gear to the diameter just behind the retaining clip where the washer rides.

Don't know what the clearance is spec'd at for the gear, but it's a little bit looser than you might think. Most of the noise in a YZ450 comes from the primary drive gears rattling at idle, and from the transmission doing the same thing. The trans noise goes away when the clutch is pulled, and the gear noise usually disappears above idle. The idler gear really isn't big enough to add much noticeable noise to the mix.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slow and Jerky

Posted April 08, 2013 - 03:03 PM

Thanks, any guesstimates on how clearance there should be?

• grayracer513

Posted April 08, 2013 - 03:47 PM

Not really. .002" maybe? Up to perhaps .004"

I'd hate to tell you that for sure then have you buy one with the same fit you have now.

• Slow and Jerky

Posted April 08, 2013 - 03:56 PM

No worries, at least I have a rough idea. I will take a really close look at the rest of them too. This thing was raced hard before I got it. I have pretty much replaced everything else in the last two years so it makes sense that the gears would be getting to the end of their life.

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.