Oil leak from clutch cable?

4 replies to this topic
  • davidjay

Posted April 07, 2013 - 05:30 PM

Lots of procrastinating on a repair I should have done months back. Now it is time to ride up here in Vermont and I need some help. On my last ride, in December, I lost the use of my clutch lever. Turns out the housing moved loose and melted on my exhaust. This was a surprise to me to see oil leaking out of what I thought was a cable connection not a hydraulic one. Is this an after market set up? My manual shows a cable here not hydraulic. How hard to replace with another hydraulic lever, or should I go back to a cable?
Help would be greatly appreciated.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 07, 2013 - 07:33 PM

Help would be greatly appreciated.

So would pics

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MaxPower

Posted April 08, 2013 - 01:07 PM

If you have a hydraulic clutch on your bike, there is a good chance its a Magura
They have plastic lines and stainless lines
Go on eBay and find the stainless hose and get the bleeder kit for it too.

• davidjay

Posted April 13, 2013 - 04:34 PM

Thanks MaxPower for the reply. It is the brand you mentioned. The whole assembly( clutch arm) is quite beat. It will start jamming up at times and has a ton of play in it. Think it best to replace the whole set up? Or just the cable?

• MaxPower

Posted April 14, 2013 - 03:16 AM

Being stuck with no clutch on a ride is no fun.
Ktm has the hydraulic thing dialed . Aftermarket to me is a little more of an after thought. Not to say it can't work. It's just that you really have to desire a hydraulic clutch. If you want , buy a complete Magura if it's trashed. I believe they sell kits to rebuild. There aren't many parts to them. Or you can't go wrong buying a fresh cable and a perch/lever with hot start lever from eBay. There is a small bracket that holds the cable at the case you will need too

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.