Is this a stock header ('03 WR450f)?

10 replies to this topic
  • ack1961

Posted April 07, 2013 - 03:21 PM

All,

I did some work on my '03 WR450 this weekend (new Starter Motor and upgraded Starter Gear Assy, Sprocket, Chain, etc.).

Since I had the Exhaust system off the bike, I cleaned it up a bit. While checking the manual for torque specs, I noticed that my header doesn't look like the one in the Maintenance Manual. There was no gasket between the header pipe and the exhaust manifold, and the part of the pipe that seats there is fluted. The previous owner put a GYTR Insert in the Muffler, but he didn't mention anything about changing out the header.

I have two reasons for asking:
1. If a gasket should be there, I want to get one.
2. I'm getting a bit of popping upon deacceleration that I've never noticed before (even with the dent in the pipe)

Any help would be appreciated. -Steve
Posted Image
Posted Image

• JDLowrance

Posted April 07, 2013 - 03:34 PM

Doesn't appear to be stock.

There should be a gasket no matter what pipe you've got installed.

• Road Rage

Posted April 08, 2013 - 05:48 AM

Just went to Bike Bandit, there are two things to note 1, the header shows a heat shield, the one in your pic has no attachment points for the heat shield and 2) yes there is a gasket.

http://www.bikebandi...145586sch253667

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 08, 2013 - 06:44 AM

It's not actually a gasket, it's a 'crush washer' that should be replaced if it gets removed.
If it gets removed and re-used, it will be 'out of position' from the previous crushing, and will leak.

That looks like a Dubach Racing SS header....

• MaxPower

Posted April 08, 2013 - 08:50 AM

That header looks like its a bigger diameter than stock
What silencer is on it?
It looks like a Big Gun pipe to me

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hadj657

Posted April 08, 2013 - 11:11 AM

I agree with Krannie on that, looks like the Dubach. I have that header on my '05.

• ack1961

Posted April 10, 2013 - 04:25 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I'm pretty sure it's the stock '03 Silencer.
Posted Image

I've ordered a couple of exhaust gaskets: 3VD-14613-01-00. I'll see if the popping stops after I get them installed.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 10, 2013 - 04:36 PM

It looks like someone put on a full Dr D system, then took the can when they sold it, and fit the stock can and midpipe on the Dr D pipe.....which are different diameters.... so you might look there for a leak....

• ack1961

Posted April 11, 2013 - 01:44 PM

It looks like someone put on a full Dr D system, then took the can when they sold it, and fit the stock can and midpipe on the Dr D pipe.....which are different diameters.... so you might look there for a leak....

The Silencer has "Yamaha5TJ-00" stamped on it and the Spark Arrestor looks like the one in the book, so it does look like the stock one. The Header has me baffled (no pun intended), but we'll see how an OEM crush washer works with it. If it doesn't, I may have to try several different header manufacturer's exhaust gaskets.

• miweber929

Posted April 12, 2013 - 04:56 AM

The Silencer has "Yamaha5TJ-00" stamped on it and the Spark Arrestor looks like the one in the book, so it does look like the stock one. The Header has me baffled (no pun intended), but we'll see how an OEM crush washer works with it. If it doesn't, I may have to try several different header manufacturer's exhaust gaskets.

The actually head to head pipe "gasket" should work just fine as it can really only be one size, the size the head is manufactured to.

What Krannie was getting at is the head pipe and muffler could very well be two totally different diameters (the Dr. D pipe being larger than the Yamaha stock) so that junction under the kick starter could be, and probably is, a mess. And more than likely leaking as well which isn't helping the popping.

Look there, it should be a clean connection.

Mike

Edited by miweber929, April 12, 2013 - 04:58 AM.

• ack1961

Posted April 12, 2013 - 07:39 AM

The actually head to head pipe "gasket" should work just fine as it can really only be one size, the size the head is manufactured to.

What Krannie was getting at is the head pipe and muffler could very well be two totally different diameters (the Dr. D pipe being larger than the Yamaha stock) so that junction under the kick starter could be, and probably is, a mess. And more than likely leaking as well which isn't helping the popping.

Look there, it should be a clean connection.

Mike

Oh...OK, gotcha. Sorry for the confusion.
I'll check that gasket where the pipes meet for leaks. When I reassembled it felt pretty snug, but it can't hurt to change it for a new one.

Thanks all.
Steve

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.