FIRST LOOK: 2014 YZ450F !

128 replies to this topic
  • ah665

Posted June 04, 2013 - 04:46 PM

Someone made a good point the other night on Twitter (not sure if it was Matthes or Blazier), but now that Yamaha has started wrapping the head pipe around the motor like that, haven't they sorta defeated some of the purpose of going to the backwards motor? After I read that, it did make me think. I realize there is still other reasons/potential benefits, but this bike really needs to win the public over with this design. I'd buy one but I haven't totally turned my back on the design, like most have.

• zeuszuki

Posted June 04, 2013 - 10:02 PM

So are ya gonna let us know about Coppins setup that you are going to look into? I think that this is a better response than the one from the mouth breathing window licker Sid, don't ya think??

A few tips he gave me on his '13 :

Run rear wheel back as far as you can in swing arm, helps with traction.
He runs a engine relocation kit, helps with turn in etc
Engine wise, runs a stock compression piston. He says running a high comp piston plays havoc with the handling. Too much compression braking causes major handling problems on decel into corners.
Suspension, he valves to suit his requirements.
The bike is surprisingly stock over all otherwise, he doesn't get caught up in the "bling" game - just what works.
Over size front rotor, 110 rear tyre, cable clutch, forks flush with triple clamps etc etc

• grayracer513

Posted June 05, 2013 - 07:45 AM

Someone made a good point the other night on Twitter (not sure if it was Matthes or Blazier), but now that Yamaha has started wrapping the head pipe around the motor like that, haven't they sorta defeated some of the purpose of going to the backwards motor?

Not at all. You don't think the original point of the whole exercise was to coil up the exhaust under the seat like a hose, do you?

If anything the reroute of the header is the result of applying the original concept of mass centralization to the exhaust system. It moves the muffler forward and down, both good things, and exactly the same idea as the "low boy" headers Kevin Windham ran on his older CRF's. Everybody liked that pipe. Maybe because it still looked "right".

Pushrods used to look right, too.

• ah665

Posted June 05, 2013 - 09:43 AM

Not at all. You don't think the original point of the whole exercise was to coil up the exhaust under the seat like a hose, do you?

If anything the reroute of the header is the result of applying the original concept of mass centralization to the exhaust system. It moves the muffler forward and down, both good things, and exactly the same idea as the "low boy" headers Kevin Windham ran on his older CRF's. Everybody liked that pipe. Maybe because it still looked "right".

Pushrods used to look right, too.

Ya I know what you mean. I guess to me, it just seems like the backwards motor originally compared to now (where they are rolling it back forward and re-routing the exhaust back around the front again) is kinda odd. The 09-12 Honda, to me was spot-on cause you could see that the stock muffler was shrunk down and moved way forward. The JGR bikes don't look like the silencer is moved hardly any farther forward.

I'm not downing the YZ design, I want to see it work. it just seems like they went extreme and now might be back-peddaling, just to make the design seem like it was the right choice. That or maybe I am just reading too far into it and instead it's just part of the refining process. I dunno, I guess we will find out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 05, 2013 - 09:59 AM

The 09-12 Honda, to me was spot-on cause you could see that the stock muffler was shrunk down and moved way forward.

That's sort of a wrap-around, too. The exhaust starts on the left side of the frame, drops under the area where the fender wants to be, then up the right side and back. That's why the port was moved over there.

• zeuszuki

Posted June 05, 2013 - 11:26 AM

Take a look at that inlet tract - a straight shot in with nice cool mixture. It's a lot harder getting fuel/air into a motor than it is to get exhaust gases out.

• THOR450

Posted June 09, 2013 - 11:12 PM

Yamaha dealer show / introduction this Tuesday 6/11/13 in Las Vegas!!! This is straight from a Josh Grant interview posted on Trans World Motocross. Can't wait!!!!

• zeuszuki

Posted February 08, 2014 - 01:30 AM

First round of the Nationals here in NZ and Yu Hirata came over for a skid. Took some pics for you all, bike still looks familiar.

Photo0014.jpg

I will upload some more tomorrow.

Edited by zeuszuki, February 08, 2014 - 01:37 AM.

• zeuszuki

Posted February 08, 2014 - 12:51 PM

Some more...

http://s155.photobuc...html?sort=3&o=5

http://s155.photobuc...html?sort=3&o=6

http://s155.photobuc...html?sort=3&o=4

http://s155.photobuc...html?sort=3&o=3

http://s155.photobuc...html?sort=3&o=1

Edited by zeuszuki, February 08, 2014 - 12:55 PM.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.