FIRST LOOK: 2014 YZ450F !

128 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted April 20, 2013 - 07:14 PM

You did. http://www.thumperta...0#entry10680071

The answer to your second question is, "always".

• Joe_Jet

Posted April 20, 2013 - 09:40 PM

I downloaded these pics so I could blow them up and look at every little detail. I'm so excited I have been waiting for this bike for 3 years. If I had to guess I bet it lost some lbs too.

Despite the horrible weather, overcast, 45 degrees, and light rain, I made it out to the Japanese RD2. Got a couple photos. Ill post later.

All the plastic definitely looks production. At first, I thought the rear fender was from the current 250 F, but it looks new too. Nice and smooth and flat on top so it wont collect mud and is easier to clean. Only the front fender looks the same. The shrouds are no wider than the radiators. They dont bulb out for the air intake anymore. The air intake has been moved to the upper inner part of the shroud where JGR has theirs, but it is a square shaped intake runner. The actual intake is open inwards to the bike so it doesnt take any dirt straight in kind of like the Cycra shrouds, but only the single opening on the shroud. There is of course the additional openings on top of the airbox as seen before similar to the JGR modified bikes. It looks like they have incorporated quite a bit of what JGR has done to the bike in addition to all the new Yamaha engineering and design.

Posted Image

The engine cases and side covers are defintely different from the 10-13. The motor is not tilted back as much and it appears part of the oil "reservoir" section on the upper front has been relocated to move the engine forward in the chassis. The oil window is not apparent. I think we are back to a dipstick/filler. The #13 bike still has billet cases, but the #3 is cast production looking. Both bikes appear to have the same production looking side covers.

The #13 bike has a production looking swingarm while the #3 bike has welds all over the place. I'm guessing they are testing beyond 14 production.

Subframe: After seeing the bike up close I believe they have the right forward members of the subframe close together to allow space and a mounting point for the silencer which is moved considerably further forward and a bit lower. Both should help to both centralize mass and move the CG forward.

Also, I believe the #3 rider, Hirata was Narita's team mate at Honda last year so he knows how the Honda handles and may have been involved in the CRFs development, also good news.

I'm pretty excited about this new bike. It looks bitchin for sure!

Edited by Joe_Jet, April 22, 2013 - 05:22 PM.

• Joe_Jet

Posted April 21, 2013 - 12:40 AM

Posted Image

• Joe_Jet

Posted April 21, 2013 - 12:50 AM

By the way. This was probably the muddiest track I have ever seen. All the riders were covered head to toe with black soupy mud and half ditched their goggles. The race officials had to stop each rider as they exited the track and wipe their front number plates clean so they could identify who was to go to the podium. Round 1 was also a mud fest so it looks like Yamaha has had plenty of testing in the mud with the new intake openings above the air box. Should put to rest any worries about those causing problems in the most severe conditions.

• Joe_Jet

Posted April 21, 2013 - 12:53 AM

Posted Image

• ah665

Posted April 22, 2013 - 07:21 AM

Cool pics, Joe. i agree that the plastic looks very 'production-ready'. Definately seems like there are similarities between these bikes and the JGR. I assume If that is a preproduction '14 model, that Yamaha has been experimenting with the newly-routed exhaust for awhile etc, so maybe they were the ones that gave JGR/FMF the idea to do it to their bikes, based on their testing with this new model? Who knows.

• Joe_Jet

Posted April 22, 2013 - 05:12 PM

The #3 bike looks mostly production except for the swingarm, Al tank and triple clamps and, of course, other rider specific bits that we all change.

Edited by Joe_Jet, April 22, 2013 - 05:17 PM.

• ah665

Posted April 22, 2013 - 05:34 PM

The #3 bike looks mostly production except for the swingarm, Al tank and triple clamps and, of course, other rider specific bits that we all change.

Also, I'll be very interested to see if they run with that hidden gas cap, in production. I think it is a cool idea, but just wonder if that is exactly what they plan on doing for the showroom bikes. It will be exciting to see this bike get released.

• stroker101

Posted April 23, 2013 - 09:34 AM

Good eye, never knew they were getting extra air through the top of the air box this season. I think that's a great spot, that area never gets real dirty. I also think the production 14 will have a similar gas cap set up.

This is probably a "Modification" that the "Race" team chose to do. I'm willing to bet that it didn't come from the Factory like this.

• Joe_Jet

Posted April 23, 2013 - 05:25 PM

JGR modded their bikes. Im sure this was done after extensive testing. MXA recommended the average Joe NOT do this as it would require custom mapping. I never tried it. I put the Cycra shrouds on my bike which have different openings and more importantly, are narrower. I have just tried the stock, aggro, and long power delivery maps with an FMF slip on. They all worked. I ran the aggro map for almost a year, then as I got more used to the bike switched to the long delivery. Probably a reverse progression for most riders.

Anyway, both the Japanese bikes have the air intakes on top and appear to be the same shape. That area on both bikes looks like production plastic, but one is a different color, white underneath. In some of the other photos the plastic in that area looks pre-pro due to the team having covered it completely with graphics. Looking at the shrouds up close, they are very production looking plastics with graphics stretched over. There is an indentation in the shrouds where the Yami logo will go too and it is not in the same spot as their graphics.

The gas cap area looks production too. Both bikes had aluminum tanks, probably not production, but the seat junction and cap looked clean. The cover appears to be a vinyl rubber with a hard plastic base. Kind of like a mini seat, but vinyl rubber molded instead of foam with a seat cover. Didnt see how it attaches. If I had to guess, its probably a simple squeeze on the sides and pop off dealio. Quick and clean, but ill bet when guys wear out the tabs or abuse the thing we will see them lying on the side of the track and there will be aftermarket ones in different colors available...ha ha

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chazmagnum

Posted April 24, 2013 - 07:52 AM

The rear fender looks very 06' 09' ish. I kinda prefer the sharper lines of the 10' to 13'.

• Joe_Jet

Posted April 28, 2013 - 11:54 PM

The new rear fender is flatter and wider and maybe a bit shorter. The new bike looks really sweet in person. When compared to the current bike, which in my opinion is one of the best looking bikes, the new bike makes the 10-13 look bulbous and outdated. The "bird tail" rear fender on the 10-13 looks funny now after seeing the new bike.

Edited by Joe_Jet, April 28, 2013 - 11:55 PM.

• Chazmagnum

Posted April 29, 2013 - 08:04 PM

Joe, did you get to throw a leg over it?

• harryhandshake

Posted April 29, 2013 - 08:27 PM

and in other news, the yz250 only gets new graphics for the 9th straight year :smirk:

• rdefonce

Posted April 30, 2013 - 08:37 AM

I really want to get a ride on a 2010+ yz450 to see what all this drama is about. I hope this revision scares away all the bad press that is really bad for yamaha I loved what they were doing and I love how they never sacrifice their build quality and reliability even with radical designs.

my 2010 is a good bike. I had '99, then a '08, now a '10. I like it.

• Joe_Jet

Posted April 30, 2013 - 08:02 PM

Joe, did you get to throw a leg over it?

Well...imagine trying to ride Grant's or Brayton's bike during a race day compounded by the fact that these are factory one-off preproduction bikes. And, it was muddy. So, I didn't bother asking. Ha ha

• zeuszuki

Posted June 02, 2013 - 12:05 PM

I may have missed it in somebody's post, but what are the advantages of routing the exhaust pipe around the engine versus the current design? Are they playing with header length tuning on the factory bike?

I was talking to Josh Coppins just yesterday. The exhaust routing is all about power delivery, I'm picking tuned length options. He told me a lot about the Yz he is testing, our 10-13's are about to be superseded. The '14 will not require an engine relocation kit.
We discussed at length his current '13 setup and the new bike. I have a bit of work to do to my '11 ....

• sid_125_04

Posted June 02, 2013 - 05:51 PM

So now when u go to take the choke off u can get burned by the exhaust on both sides? Also is this model gonna have power bands in all gears?

• mxbrewski

Posted June 03, 2013 - 07:43 PM

I was talking to Josh Coppins just yesterday. The exhaust routing is all about power delivery, I'm picking tuned length options. He told me a lot about the Yz he is testing, our 10-13's are about to be superseded. The '14 will not require an engine relocation kit.
We discussed at length his current '13 setup and the new bike. I have a bit of work to do to my '11 ....

So are ya gonna let us know about Coppins setup that you are going to look into? I think that this is a better response than the one from the mouth breathing window licker Sid, don't ya think??

• sid_125_04

Posted June 04, 2013 - 03:37 AM

Haha i was messing around. But yes reading this thread make me want to wait on the 14' and see what the reviews are. Didn't mean for my comment to be a " thread ender".

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.