FIRST LOOK: 2014 YZ450F !

128 replies to this topic
  • zeuszuki

Posted April 08, 2013 - 02:45 AM

LOL, that was funny

I will take my 2011 YZ450 over the new WR450 any day, after i test rode one... but I am starting to have the same problem as the other member, the pumpkins (and also the GasGas) are looking better to me every year and I might go back to a 2 stroke for my next bike.

After having a 300 pumpkin and now a 300 GG, make sure you get a ride on the GG 300, you'll be impressed ;-)

• f150jokerstyle

Posted April 08, 2013 - 06:23 AM

We get that you dont like the yz450 we get you dont like Suzuki's and we get you love your brand. Everyone else's design is dumb. We get it. Thats what im saying just move on and enjoy your bike then.

No doubt about it they are doing great over there and they would over in "the states" if they offered more factory support. That is another conversation all in it's self. I liked the last gen alot but like I said with what we have seen, how do I put a dry break on the gas tank? Like someone els has stated now the WR I think is a joke. I don't like that it is on a 250f frame i'm a big guy I don't ride 250'f because of this so why would I want a 250f frame with a 450 in it. Also it is to dam heavy for my taste. I'm willing to bet someone, some how will make a bigger tank for this bike but I guess time will tell.

• WouldsAssassin

Posted April 08, 2013 - 10:39 AM

Does everybody understand we're talking about a factory one off race bike? So many are getting all wrapped up like the Japanese MX race was a new model launch. If I recall last years race bike had wrap around exhaust and other bits that never made it to production for 2013. Let's all relax and wait a few more months before brand bashing, name calling and mud slinging.

• Greg Pennsiltucky Lykens

Posted April 08, 2013 - 10:59 AM

I've ridden a newer YZ 450 (2010 through 2013) since they came out. They handle a little different than the older Yamahas. But the bike is great and they win a lot on the local level, just like everything else. The bike isn't any wider than my kids 2012 YZ 250 at the tank to seat junction. But I admit, it seems wider by looking at it. But those radiator shrouds right behind the triple clamps-your knees never get close to them, so I think it is all bunk. It could be 3 feet there, but it doesn't interfere with riding. That width there is up higher than your knees are and the thighs can't get out there unless your carrying someone on the back and you swing your legs up so the passenger can put their feet on the pegs. Now you got some support for your thighs-they come in handy.

I think the bike is good, even at the factory level. Now I know Millsaps didn't win races last year, but JS7 did. Both of these guys think the grass is greener on the other side. If things continue, JS7 and Millsaps will finish out the season worse than their overall end of year finishes of last year. Go on hating the bike. The guys who like the bike feel like we have an advantage........

I've raced for 37 years. I never had brand loyalty to anything, but the durability of the bike is great. Much better than the 2005-2008 Honda 4 strokes that I owned (first four strokes ever). I may be a Yamaha guy forever.....

• Joe_Jet

Posted April 08, 2013 - 08:22 PM

I think it looks bitchin and cant wait to see the finished production bike. curious to find out what it weighs, what forks will be on it, and if in fact they changed the FI system.

• rcmxracing

Posted April 09, 2013 - 06:14 AM

OK Yamaha faithful, I’ve got a lot to say on this subject having owned and raced MX with a 2010 for 2.5 years. I’ve bled blue and a little red my whole life and I want YAMAHA to do well. Don’t get butt hurt, but the 10-13 YZ450 has issues that just can’t be completely ironed out, trust me I tried. I REALLY wanted to love this bike, but sometimes babies are just too ugly to love! I did the suspension and a lowering link and that made the bike MUCH better. I went to KW bend bars and that helped also. I had an ’06 and an ’08 and when I switched to the ’10 I was blown away how good the bike was. Then I started to figure out how different it was and how strange it was in the corners. My older YZ’s had a push in flat corners which was much improved with the ’08, not completely gone, but better. The older bikes took a lot of manhandling at the tip in for a corner, but were very predictable and you could rail a corner. The ’10 loved tight inside ruts, but in more open corners it just took constant attention and corrections, just not a natural feel. Note: I ride mostly sand/intermediate terrain. I tamed down the hit on the low end and that helped a lot. The bike just never felt naturally settled and planted in a corner. Fade to this year and the 2011 RMZ I picked up used. Very smooth power, ergos fit perfectly for my 5’10 frame, and I just roll into a corner, turn my head towards the exit and the bike follows with no drama. It’s a thing of beauty! The RMZ does feel “harsher” in the rough stuff compared to YZ, but I think that stiffer frame is what makes the bike so predictable and scalpel like. It’s also stable in the straights, just not plush like YZ. I want Yamaha to succeed, the current bike has a too flexy frame IMHO and the seating position puts the rider too far back. And here’s another thing: Since most of switched to 4 strokes we got used to a planted feel. The plus of the newer YZ is that ease at which you can change direction, very easy to move the bike which is why it’s probably a hell of an offroad weapon through the trees. But that nimble feel with 450 power takes more attention. It’s an active, exciting bike to ride. But that in my opinion is also a curse. Sometimes moving forward with technology makes a company pay a price and sometimes they just do dumb things…remember the radiator on the forks of the ’82 YZ250?
Like list:
Reliability and build quality are top notch
Clutch is excellent with an easy pull
Engine is solid and I loved the tuner options
Suspension is excellent once it’s dialed in, very smooth over the rough stuff
Shifting is solid
Did not like:
Ergo’s are poor, natural sitting position puts the rider too far back and this is one of the major problems with the bike. I also feel the peg to seat height is a little cramped. (I’m 5’10” with short legs!). I don’t think the shrouds are the problem it’s the seat/airbox/tank.
I believe you pay a price for that nice ride over the bumps – It hunts and pecks under braking and needs constant attention in corners
The bike really likes to light up the rear tire, so traction is a problem, bike doesn’t feel planted
Bike doesn’t like to be “steered with the rear”
Front brake is weak
Yamaha rear brake pedal too short

• Chazmagnum

Posted April 09, 2013 - 07:55 AM

I have become accustomed to changing my suspension settings and tire pressure depending on whether the track is sandy or hard pack. This bike seems more sensative to theses changes than other bikes I've owned. Oh and moving the forks up or down a mm or 3. But through a lot of tial and error I have come up with some great settings for different conditions. And I have cured that wiggly hunt and peck on corner entry as well as a smooth settled rail around the outside. Is it an scalpel like the rm? No. But it is super stable and doesn't have the unnerving vibration of the rm and cr. My bike is 10' so it's new bike time. Besides the new Yamaha, I think I'm going to throw a leg over a new ktm, although I'm a little scared because what if I like the pumpkin...

• Joe_Jet

Posted April 09, 2013 - 08:37 AM

Posted Image

photo courtesy TWMX Swap

it will be interesting to see the production version of the gas cap cover. Hopefully it has a different air filter that can be changed without removing the seat and tilting the tank.

Edited by Joe_Jet, April 09, 2013 - 08:47 AM.

• Joe_Jet

Posted April 09, 2013 - 08:42 AM

looks like the same engine, but tilted forward quite a bit to move CG forward. I wonder how this will affect the intake tract, kick starter height, and countershaft sprocket and rear suspension relation.

The engine cases and side covers are completely different. maybe to keep the CS sprocket position the same, move the engine forward and tilt forward. engine mounts completely different. dont see the oil window either, but the cases appear to be billet not production parts. theres also a 2nd engine mount point on the rear left of the cylinder. i think they are still doing a lot of final testing. the number 3 and 13 bikes are different.

Edited by Joe_Jet, April 09, 2013 - 09:09 AM.

• gunnin88

Posted April 09, 2013 - 08:49 AM

Well I like it. I just started riding after taking 7 years off. I bought a 2010 yz450f and I love it. This bike looks to be even more improved. I have riden my buddies 2013 cr450f and I have ridden a 2010 KX450f. While I enjoyed each of the bikes, I was more than happy to clim back on my Yamaha. I used to bleed red, I just got a good deal on mine. I do not understand the knocks on the 10-13's other than the front shrouds are alittle wide and power delivery is choppy, but I fixed power issue with a tuner and a throttle cam.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Biscuits

Posted April 11, 2013 - 12:44 PM

I have become accustomed to changing my suspension settings and tire pressure depending on whether the track is sandy or hard pack. This bike seems more sensative to theses changes than other bikes I've owned. Oh and moving the forks up or down a mm or 3. But through a lot of tial and error I have come up with some great settings for different conditions. And I have cured that wiggly hunt and peck on corner entry as well as a smooth settled rail around the outside. Is it an scalpel like the rm? No. But it is super stable and doesn't have the unnerving vibration of the rm and cr. My bike is 10' so it's new bike time. Besides the new Yamaha, I think I'm going to throw a leg over a new ktm, although I'm a little scared because what if I like the pumpkin...

Funny thing, that's exactly what I've learned and do with my bike ! It has what I call a "narrow tuning band" and has to be adjusted to suit conditions. Glad I'm not the only one to have come to this conclusion. When it's dialed in to the conditions I love the bike.

Edited by Biscuits, April 11, 2013 - 12:45 PM.

• DGXR

Posted April 11, 2013 - 03:06 PM

I wonder if they used the 250f frame like they did for the WR. Regardless this looks a bit Mickey Mouse to me. I think I'll go get a Zook!

Wouldn't you at least like to ride it before completely disregarding it? I sure would. :)

• grayracer513

Posted April 11, 2013 - 04:27 PM

Wouldn't you at least like to ride it before completely disregarding it? I sure would. :)

No, of course not. Much better to write it off based on the appearance of a prototype model that will probably never be on the market. That way, you don't have to rethink any of your prejudices.

• Joe_Jet

Posted April 11, 2013 - 06:17 PM

as of right now, I will be at the Tokyo round of the Japan Nats on 4/21 and will get a close up look of the bike myself. ill get a bunch of photos too.

• HRC

Posted April 12, 2013 - 04:47 PM

Can we all agree that the main frame looks pretty much unchanged ?

• mxbrewski

Posted April 12, 2013 - 04:53 PM

Yes HRC, but could be modified just enough to enhance the bike. Looks like different mounting points for subframe, and maybe a frame modification for the shock clearance. Different shaped front motor mounts, and left side head mount. I did not think they would get rid of the reverse cylinder, just make the whole bike work in sync.

• Joe_Jet

Posted April 12, 2013 - 07:50 PM

Can we all agree that the main frame looks pretty much unchanged ?

no way! the basic layout of the frame is the same, but look at the weld where the extruded and cast or forged parts meet. the weld, extrusion and cast and firged parts all look different. the engine mounts are different as well.

• zeuszuki

Posted April 12, 2013 - 08:08 PM

no way! the basic layout of the frame is the same, but look at the weld where the extruded and cast or forged parts meet. the weld, extrusion and cast and firged parts all look different. the engine mounts are different as well.

Yeah I was looking at those to, there definitely are some changes. But Gray is right, this may not even be pre production.

• motomike1000

Posted April 20, 2013 - 05:14 AM

Nice post and I agree with most of what your saying,have you tried the engine relocation kit? It made a huge difference for me,no more vagueness in the corners,change lines mid corner and much more overall confidence with none of that skaty feel it used to have.best mod I have ever made to a bike bar none,mike
OK Yamaha faithful, I’ve got a lot to say on this subject having owned and raced MX with a 2010 for 2.5 years. I’ve bled blue and a little red my whole life and I want YAMAHA to do well. Don’t get butt hurt, but the 10-13 YZ450 has issues that just can’t be completely ironed out, trust me I tried. I REALLY wanted to love this bike, but sometimes babies are just too ugly to love! I did the suspension and a lowering link and that made the bike MUCH better. I went to KW bend bars and that helped also. I had an ’06 and an ’08 and when I switched to the ’10 I was blown away how good the bike was. Then I started to figure out how different it was and how strange it was in the corners. My older YZ’s had a push in flat corners which was much improved with the ’08, not completely gone, but better. The older bikes took a lot of manhandling at the tip in for a corner, but were very predictable and you could rail a corner. The ’10 loved tight inside ruts, but in more open corners it just took constant attention and corrections, just not a natural feel. Note: I ride mostly sand/intermediate terrain. I tamed down the hit on the low end and that helped a lot. The bike just never felt naturally settled and planted in a corner. Fade to this year and the 2011 RMZ I picked up used. Very smooth power, ergos fit perfectly for my 5’10 frame, and I just roll into a corner, turn my head towards the exit and the bike follows with no drama. It’s a thing of beauty! The RMZ does feel “harsher” in the rough stuff compared to YZ, but I think that stiffer frame is what makes the bike so predictable and scalpel like. It’s also stable in the straights, just not plush like YZ. I want Yamaha to succeed, the current bike has a too flexy frame IMHO and the seating position puts the rider too far back. And here’s another thing: Since most of switched to 4 strokes we got used to a planted feel. The plus of the newer YZ is that ease at which you can change direction, very easy to move the bike which is why it’s probably a hell of an offroad weapon through the trees. But that nimble feel with 450 power takes more attention. It’s an active, exciting bike to ride. But that in my opinion is also a curse. Sometimes moving forward with technology makes a company pay a price and sometimes they just do dumb things…remember the radiator on the forks of the ’82 YZ250?
Like list:
Reliability and build quality are top notch
Clutch is excellent with an easy pull
Engine is solid and I loved the tuner options
Suspension is excellent once it’s dialed in, very smooth over the rough stuff
Shifting is solid
Did not like:
Ergo’s are poor, natural sitting position puts the rider too far back and this is one of the major problems with the bike. I also feel the peg to seat height is a little cramped. (I’m 5’10” with short legs!). I don’t think the shrouds are the problem it’s the seat/airbox/tank.
I believe you pay a price for that nice ride over the bumps – It hunts and pecks under braking and needs constant attention in corners
The bike really likes to light up the rear tire, so traction is a problem, bike doesn’t feel planted
Bike doesn’t like to be “steered with the rear”
Front brake is weak
Yamaha rear brake pedal too short

• BGoyins

Posted April 20, 2013 - 05:58 AM

I may have missed it in somebody's post, but what are the advantages of routing the exhaust pipe around the engine versus the current design? Are they playing with header length tuning on the factory bike?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.