Brake Light Question

8 replies to this topic
  • ColoradoDirtRider

Posted April 04, 2013 - 02:18 PM

The pressure required to set off my rear brake light seems very high when testing it in the garage (I suppose it could be different on the streets). Is there any way for me to adjust my brake light actuator? Is everyone else's brake light like this?

Thanks

• GP1K

Posted April 04, 2013 - 03:46 PM

What brake light? Do you have a Baja Designs dual sport kit or something? Stock is just a tail light, not brake light.

• ColoradoDirtRider

Posted April 04, 2013 - 09:26 PM

What brake light? Do you have a Baja Designs dual sport kit or something? Stock is just a tail light, not brake light.

I have a ufo rear fender with tail light. Its wired correctly, it just seems the pressure to actuate the other filament in the bulb is very high

• allterra

Posted April 04, 2013 - 09:57 PM

I have a ufo rear fender with tail light. Its wired correctly, it just seems the pressure to actuate the other filament in the bulb is very high

The light it's self has nothing to do with the "pressure" to turn it on. What I think he was asking is what you are using for a switch. Is it a hydraulic pressure switch or is it a spring tension switch?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miweber929

Posted April 05, 2013 - 04:01 AM

If its a hydraulic switch there is nothing you can do but bleed the system (they can be flaky if there is air in there) or replace. Mechanical switches should be able to be adjusted by lengthening the spring slightly.

• ColoradoDirtRider

Posted April 05, 2013 - 04:18 PM

Unfortunately I have the hydraulic switch. I will have to look into getting a mechanical one. Thanks for the help!

• allterra

Posted April 05, 2013 - 05:58 PM

I have found mechanicals fail more often due to debris and mud interfering. I personally would stick with the pressure switch. Try bleeding your brake as was stated earlier. Also most bike shops stock the 10 x 1.25 banjo pressure switch. It may be air or debris in the switch you have now.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 06, 2013 - 11:08 PM

I found that if it is not the switch sold by Baja Designs, then it takes way more pressure, and only lasts about a year.

• ColoradoDirtRider

Posted April 07, 2013 - 10:57 AM

I found that if it is not the switch sold by Baja Designs, then it takes way more pressure, and only lasts about a year.

Just ordered the baja designs switch, hopefully that will fix the problem

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.