very strange headpipe

3 replies to this topic
  • SandLunatic

Posted November 16, 2001 - 03:12 PM

I was riding at Hollister SVRA last weekend and saw a 426 with what looked like a dual exhaust headpipe like a honda xr400. It was literally 2 pipes, then they went into the silencer. It looked like a big gun tailpipe but had no logo or sticker. The whole camp saw it so i'm not going crazy. My friend works at a honda/yamaha parts department and never saw one before. Does anyone run such a pipe or heard of one? We only saw him one time going down the main road and he had his little boy riding behind so we got a long look at it but never saw him again. I really did see it and no I don't see ufo's off the back porch of my mobile.

• fershy

Posted November 16, 2001 - 06:45 PM

Yeah that was a Big Gun system you saw. Headpipe to tailpipe probably. The headpipe was called the Big Gun SDS system that was flogged a few years back. The SDS acyronym meant "single dual single" to denote the configuration of the pipe. Alledgedly, the design was to improve low end torque with the two smaller diameter headpipe(s)
I remember hearing of many complaining that it came too close to their gas tanks for their liking.
Did it work? I can't say although Big Gun does not seem to be advertising any longer. Try asking Mike over at Big Gun.
fershy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SandLunatic

Posted November 16, 2001 - 08:36 PM

Thanks Fershy I thought I was going crazy/crazier for a moment.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted November 17, 2001 - 06:18 PM

I think I have the old dirt rider from a couple of yrs ago with all the diff aftermarket pipes for the 400f.
I t was cool.
all the hp gains and costs etc all w/pix!
I will see if i can find it.
maybe I can post a pix of it. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.