Difference between years? (purchase decision)

5 replies to this topic
  • JohnBee

Posted April 03, 2013 - 04:16 PM

Without getting to technical, does anyone know of a source that covers the differences between the 2010 - 2013 YZ450F models?
I'm readying to purchase a bike for the summer and I've found numerous deals ranging from 2010 to 2012. I also have the option to buy a new 2013 and I'm just trying to figure out what benefits would come from that(new vs used) in terms of performance and design. Did Yamaha make any changes to the sub/frame, engine, suspension etc over the past few years? Are any of the models better suited for aftermarket upgrades than others? ie. I'd like to consider wide-ratio gearing down the road.

Edited by JohnBee, April 03, 2013 - 04:17 PM.

• kiessel24

Posted April 04, 2013 - 06:19 AM

I have a 2010 and i read that they changed the mapping, exhaust is a bit longer and different graphics.

• KJ790

Posted April 04, 2013 - 07:56 AM

Everything is interchangeable between those years. The biggest differences are the graphics. The suspension valving has had a few very minor tweaks, the mapping was adjusted slightly, and the silencer was changed a little. In the grand scheme of things, I'd say get whatever you can get the best deal on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • slothman

Posted April 04, 2013 - 09:32 AM

save the money and get the older model. the 2013 will depreciate in value quite quickly.

• JohnBee

Posted April 04, 2013 - 12:15 PM

save the money and get the older model. the 2013 will depreciate in value quite quickly.

Thanks for the great replies.
This is indeed good news for a guy like myself.
Yamaha has a pretty enticing promotion right now in my area at: 1000.00 plus a free tuner on any 2012 dirt bike. But that's nothing compared some of the deals on used bikes that are out there. My only fear is that I'm going to buy something with underlying problems. Which leads me to my next question. Is there such a thing as a 4 stroke buyers guide for people looking to buy second hand dirt bikes?

• slothman

Posted April 04, 2013 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for the great replies.
This is indeed good news for a guy like myself.
Yamaha has a pretty enticing promotion right now in my area at: 1000.00 plus a free tuner on any 2012 dirt bike. But that's nothing compared some of the deals on used bikes that are out there. My only fear is that I'm going to buy something with underlying problems. Which leads me to my next question. Is there such a thing as a 4 stroke buyers guide for people looking to buy second hand dirt bikes?

if you are not mechanically inclined, the best thing to do is to take the used bike to a mechanic to have it looked over. This will tell you what problems the bike has, if any.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.