05 YZ450F Choke Issue?

3 replies to this topic
  • YZF450Man

Posted April 03, 2013 - 02:20 PM

I bought a used 05 YZ450F recently that had sat for two years with fuel in carb. I got it to run great after draining the fuel and putting fresh gas in it, though it wouldn't run unless the choke was on. I decided to pull the carb and inspect the jets. I found crud in the float bowl and gave the jets a good cleaning with carb spray and compressed air. I gave the vent passages the same spray and air treatment, put the whole thing back together. It starts easier, first or second kick, but it dies immediately if I push the choke in. If I let it warm up I can start it by pulling in the hot start trigger with the choke off, but I have to hold the hot start on in order for the thing to run. As soon as I release the trigger it dies.

Any body have any ideas?

Also, what is that little electronic switch on the left side of the carb? It appears to be some sort of throttle position sensor, but I cant figgure out why a carburetted bike would need that.

Thanks in advance!

• slothman

Posted April 03, 2013 - 02:56 PM

Do you have aftermarket exhaust? If you do, you will need to change the jetting and richen it up to accomodate the exhaust.

Also, I would recommend buying brand new jets. They are only $5 a piece. Sometimes cleaning them just isn't enough.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DrNation86

Posted April 03, 2013 - 03:24 PM

It is a throttle position sensor check out this article

• slothman

Posted April 04, 2013 - 09:44 AM

BTW- leave the TPS plugged in lol, yamaha put it there for a reason :p

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.